Re: Philsboat and epoxy (cheap)

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2007
      I too have been listening through the walls. Could these wise words
      be placed in files, say under "Boatbuilding Counsel" or some such.
      Simply sagacious. Thanks John.

      Graeme

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
      <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

      > Amen Joe.
      >
      > Building skills are developed with practice. An awful lot of
      boats have been built and used with what was available and/or what
      the builder could afford. I am in my 60's and I can indulge myself
      with top dollar materials. It was not always so and many of my
      boatbuilding projects have been built on the cheap. I have gotten a
      great deal of pleasure from the cheap ones, and I would never
      suggest that someone give up a building project because "good"
      quality materials were not affordable.

      > If you are building on a very tight budget, you can economize in
      some or all of the following ways:
      > 1. Pick a design for a small boat. (Smaller boats use smaller
      quantities of material than bigger boats.)
      > 2. Choose a design where plywood panels are glued/nailed to
      frames, chines and gunwales.
      > 3. Use exterior plywood and "whitewood" for the structural
      material. Get a rip fence for your circular saw and rip the
      necessary strips from a 1x6 or a 2x6.
      > 4. Don't fiberglass it. I you feel you must, glass the bottom up
      to the waterline and use polyester resin.
      > 5. Paint it simply with exterior latex housepaint.
      > 6. Rowboats and paddle boats can be used with homemade paddles and
      oars. Thole pins are cheap and you can learn to row with them (and
      to sneer at people who use store bought locks).
      > 7. Sailboats require a rudder, tiller, leeboard, mast and spars.
      These all add to the cost.
      > 8. Motorboats require a motor, gas can and fire extinguisher. None
      of these can be homemade and this adds to the cost as well.
      > 9. A car top rack costs a lot less than a trailer and a
      cartoppable (back to small again) boat can produce considerable
      economy.

      > In my life, I've done things I'm proud of and things I am not
      proud of, but the things I regret the most are the things I didn't
      do. Just build it, enjoy it, and have fun.