january letters

  • wwbaginski
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
      I've just red "no thanks" letter among other january letters at
      Duckworksmagazine and can hardly stop myself to demonstrate my
      surprise: I've never seen such detailed plans like those drawn by Jim
      M before. In fact it's great job of a designer (not a seller). This
      post is not my opinion on the author of the letter, this is just my
      opinion on plans.

      Wojtek
    • joe_mapango
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
        I totally agree!!!
        That letter was totally over the top. When I see something like that,
        I know there is an agenda behind it.

        I've bought two sets of Michalak's plans, and other items from DWBBS.
        Chuck has answered questions I asked even before I ever ordered
        anything from him. As far as JM plans, I have never built a boat
        before, and stopped doing woodworking at high school. I have had no
        trouble following the plans. I'm in the middle of a Philsboat right
        now!

        And to think it's over plans that probably cost less than $50.

        Chris Curtis

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@...> wrote:

        > I've just red "no thanks" letter among other january letters at
        > Duckworksmagazine and can hardly stop myself to demonstrate my
        > surprise: I've never seen such detailed plans like those drawn by Jim
        > M before. In fact it's great job of a designer (not a seller). This
        > post is not my opinion on the author of the letter, this is just my
        > opinion on plans.
        >
        > Wojtek

      • Tim Lehman
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
          I agree with you Wojtek. Jim's plans leave little, if anything, to the imagination. I've purchased one set of his plans and his book. The plans were clearly drawn and the building instructions included with them were clear ans easy to follow. I've emailed Jim with questions and got a quick, courteous reaponse; never anything like the letter posted in DW. I've also gotten excellent support from Chuck in the form of answering questions ad nauseum on various things.

          I don't have nay experience with John Welsford's plans, but if he puts as much effort into the drawings and instructions as he does the descriptions on the Duckworks site, they're also well worth the price. I don't know what kind of agenda this guy has, but there's got to be some motive behind a public slam like that.

          Tim

          wwbaginski <wwbaginski@...> wrote: I've just red "no thanks" letter among other january letters at
          Duckworksmagazine and can hardly stop myself to demonstrate my
          surprise: I've never seen such detailed plans like those drawn by Jim
          M before. In fact it's great job of a designer (not a seller). This
          post is not my opinion on the author of the letter, this is just my
          opinion on plans.

          Wojtek

          <>
          Finding quotes about doing things is a far cry from actually doing things. Don't confuse the two.
          <>

        • Gene T
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
            Tim,
            John's plans are in a different class than Jim's. His boats have many more parts than Jim's and his plans reflect this in their detail. Both plans are completely appropriate for the complexity of the boats they represent.

            Sincerely,
            Gene T.
            "A house ashore is but a boat, so poorly
            built it will not float ---- "

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mrballast
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
              Strange letter from 'No Thanks'. I've built the Sharpie 14 from
              Mertens plans and they were just fine, but in no way more detailed
              than Jim's. Perhaps some of the other Mertens plans are more
              detailed, I don't know. I do know that this summer a 10th grade high
              school student built the QT Rowing Skiff in my backyard from the plans
              in Jim's book (not the full scale set)with minimal help from me. The
              job turned out well. I'm building a Normsboat and find those plans
              more than adequate. I have read Jim's book (and a number of others,
              for that matter)and always find useful tips, etc., but could have
              easily built the Normsboat just from the plans. I did have some
              questions for Jim concerning some changes in the design I wanted to
              make. I e-mailed him on two occasions and received prompt and
              informative replies. All that for less than $40. Hmmmm, accurate
              plans, availability for consultation concerning changes, low
              cost--it's difficult to see how a designer owes anyone more than that!
              I have no direct experience with John Welsford's work, but those who
              build from his plans rave about their boats and the boats are being
              built in fair numbers. Doesn't seem like anything is amiss in that
              quarter either.

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@...> wrote:

              > I've just red "no thanks" letter among other january letters at
              > Duckworksmagazine and can hardly stop myself to demonstrate my
              > surprise: I've never seen such detailed plans like those drawn by Jim
              > M before. In fact it's great job of a designer (not a seller). This
              > post is not my opinion on the author of the letter, this is just my
              > opinion on plans.
              >
              > Wojtek

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
                My credit goes to Chuck for being open and broad minded enough for
                allowing that letter on his site
                I think "no rhanks" needs a chill pill or to get rid of his cranky
                pants.
                I am building fatcat2 and have never built a boat or seen plans
                before. I thought his advice on reading and fully understanding the
                plans to be excellent advice for the true beginner. I also purchased
                his book only on his suggestion and have found it very usefull and
                informative. I also emailed him with a question and got a very
                prompt reply.
                Jims plans are very easy to understand.
                I thought his singing the praises of boatplans-online.com to not be
                in favour of them because that site has excellent boats and plans
                the same as duckworks. I know of a couple of people who have built
                plans off that site and said they were very thorough, They also saw
                the plans for fatcat2 and said they were good plans.
                One thing that was pointed out was the simplicity of Jims boats and
                they didn't need as much detail.
                Any way if the boat floats and it gets us out onto the water to have
                a bit of relaxation and enjoyment, isn't that what it is all about?

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "mrballast" <mrballast@...> wrote:

                > Strange letter from 'No Thanks'. I've built the Sharpie 14 from
                > Mertens plans and they were just fine, but in no way more detailed
                > than Jim's. Perhaps some of the other Mertens plans are more
                > detailed, I don't know. I do know that this summer a 10th grade
                high
                > school student built the QT Rowing Skiff in my backyard from the
                plans
                > in Jim's book (not the full scale set)with minimal help from me.
                The
                > job turned out well. I'm building a Normsboat and find those plans
                > more than adequate. I have read Jim's book (and a number of
                others,
                > for that matter)and always find useful tips, etc., but could have
                > easily built the Normsboat just from the plans. I did have some
                > questions for Jim concerning some changes in the design I wanted to
                > make. I e-mailed him on two occasions and received prompt and
                > informative replies. All that for less than $40. Hmmmm, accurate
                > plans, availability for consultation concerning changes, low
                > cost--it's difficult to see how a designer owes anyone more than
                that!
                > I have no direct experience with John Welsford's work, but those
                who
                > build from his plans rave about their boats and the boats are being
                > built in fair numbers. Doesn't seem like anything is amiss in that
                > quarter either.
                >

                > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I've just red "no thanks" letter among other january letters at
                > > Duckworksmagazine and can hardly stop myself to demonstrate my
                > > surprise: I've never seen such detailed plans like those drawn
                by Jim
                > > M before. In fact it's great job of a designer (not a seller).
                This
                > > post is not my opinion on the author of the letter, this is just
                my
                > > opinion on plans.
                > >
                > > Wojtek

              • Al
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                  Might be worth deluging Chuck with letters of support.
                  I still haven't got out of the arm chair with the
                  plans of Jim's I bought, but they aren't exactly
                  *tricky* to get your head round! Perfectly
                  acceptable, especially for the money.

                • Rob Rohde-Szudy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                    Well, as I remarked on the DW list, we're all people who want to understand boat design and it seems like this doesn't. The only substantive difference he cited was full sized patterns. Someone who is daunted by that level of lofting should consider a kit.
                    --Rob

                    january letters
                    Posted by: "wwbaginski" wwbaginski@... wwbaginski