Re: Forward Ballast on Normsboat

  • David Davis
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
      > > Put temporary plugs in the anchor well drains
      > >

      > > Max
      > >
      > Sounds like a good idea, except that my drain holes wound up flat on
      > the bottom, sort of like cave openings. I thought that this would
      > assure no standing water. But it's worth a look at what I can cut to
      > fit.

      Use a "Damage control plug" -- two pieces of plywood cut long on the
      inside and oversize on the outside with a soft rubber gasket -- bolt
      hole in the middle to pull the two together in order to compress the
      rubber. If need be an "o" ring under the bolt head will likely made a
      100 % watertight seal. Wing nut for ease of use.

      Not a bad idea to carry several on the boat in differewnt sizes to
      close any small hull punctures.

      Different shapes may be made, some may be fit through a hole, then
      turned to cover the hole before tightening the bolt.

      Navy keeps them made up to patch shell / bullet entry/ exit holes.
      May be usless now but often with thin skin ships the shell would pass
      through both sides of the ship unexploded.

      David Davis