plywood types

  • birdsonghillfarm
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 20, 2006
      greetings to all,i am in the planning stage of building a michalak
      design,most likely a lady bug,family skiff or possibly a
      mayfly.however,i can not decide on the type of plywood to purchase.i
      want to use good qaulity materials but will be on a tight budget(to
      keep peace in the home)i have read that fir ac ext grade plywood has
      problems with checking.is the marine grade fir any better at not
      checking? in my area only fir plywood is available to pick up.naturally
      since my budget is limited ,exterior ac plywood would be better from an
      expense prospective,but i don't want it to come back to bite me!thanks
      for any imput from the more experienced boat builders out there!Tim
    • saillips
      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 2, 2006
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Tribulato" <scsbmsjoe@...> wrote:

        > Nels
        >
        > I always put leeboards on the port side because common bolts have
        > right hand threads. Crank it down and tighten the bolt with a knob or
        > wing nut.

        Hi Joe. What a simple but brilliant idea! Another reason I love these
        forums.
        Cheers, David