Plywood for Frolic2 - was - [Michalak] Re: Epoxy fillers and biscuits

  • Gene T.
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
      Nels,
      I've bought all my "good" plywood here. It is a 70 mile drive for me on the other side of the Chesapeake but worth it. They are big on shipping, kept offering to ship mine but I wanted to carry it and touch it. They have the "good stuff" Signal mdo also. I think they sell a lot of stuff for signs. They seem to have an affiliate in Maine. I have no idea what their shipping rates are.
      http://www.harborsales.net/

      Look under products and services / plywood and composites.... Nothing is cheap but it's not to bad. I've used the 10 footers before (on the SHS bottom) and they are actual 4x10 sheets. - looking up one, 4x10'by3/8 Signal MDO 2 sides is $81.02. The cheap MDO they even have in 5x10. I've heard of people getting larger sheets and finding they were scarfed. Oh, and their Okoume is a dream to work with. It is a difficult decision between Signal MDO and Okoume. I like to work with the many thin plys.

      I added the 2 feet into the center of the Frolic2 and found that the 10' sheets made for an efficient layout. I think it was for the sides and the diagonal panel. So why am I thinking of my next boat while I have gaffs and booms to glue up downstairs. The eight sided hollow tube makes for a strong and light spar. Those PDRacer characters have some good ideas! I'll do my next mast this way.

      Sincerely,
      Gene T.
      "A house ashore is but a boat, so poorly
      built it will not float ---- "

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
        I buily Toon 19 out of Signal MDO from Harbor Sales. They shipped it and it arrived quickly with no problems (though I did have to pick it up from UPS). Nice product; nice folks to work with.

        John T

        > In Bolger5 in the photos under more Gene's boats. The basement is
        such a tight cluttered mess, the photos just frustrate me!!!

        > Next boat is a Frolic2 with an extra 2 feet in the middle so I can
        add some ballast on the floor. I think I need to extra 2 feet to
        float the expected 200 lbs. of lead. It works out nice if I use some
        10 ft. pieces of 3/8 MDO, or so I figured. Making the cabin a foot
        longer might allow it to sleep 2 cause you can move back from the
        pointy end...

        > Progress is sooooo slooooowwwwww but fun.

        Yes I know what you mean. Always something sucking up the time you
        would rather be building.

        So you found some 10 ft. sheets of 3/8 MDO! Do you have a source of
        supply or was it a lucky find?

        Nels

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Hagan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
          One feature of Harbor Sales is that they deliver for free to many regular customers in the Mid-Atlantic region. My purchases are delivered to a local sign shop who call me when their once a week load arrives. This represents a huge savings and is very convenient.

          Jim Hagan

          >Nels,
          >I've bought all my "good" plywood here. It is a 70 mile drive for me on the other side of the Chesapeake but
          >worth it. They are big on shipping, kept offering to ship mine but I wanted to carry it and touch it. They have
          >the "good stuff" Signal mdo also. I think they sell a lot of stuff for signs. They seem to have an affiliate in
          >Maine. I have no idea what their shipping rates are.
          >http://www.harborsales.net/

        • Nels
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2006
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, James Hagan <hagan@...> wrote:

            > One feature of Harbor Sales is that they deliver for free to many
            regular customers in the Mid-Atlantic region. My purchases are
            delivered to a local sign shop who call me when their once a week load
            arrives. This represents a huge savings and is very convenient.

            > Jim Hagan

            That sounds like a really great service. Bit far away for me however -
            being in western Canada.

            However I have found a source of 8 ft sheets near here in Calgary. 10
            footers are really great if you want to stretch a design by a couple
            of feet, to get more cabin space.

            I bet if would work for a lot of Jim's designs:-)