Re: Gypsy Harmonica Progress

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 40 , Nov 1, 2006
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury112@...> wrote:

      > You can buy milled glass fibers from most epoxy
      > suppliers, although you don't get a choice of
      > length; I think the stuff I have bought was
      > about 1/4" to 3/8" in length.
      >
      > As, as already mentioned, you can "manufacture"
      > your own to your own prefered specs.
      >
      > Max

      What would be the best method for chopping your own? I need quite a
      lot as I want to mix it in with a primer/sealer I have heard about and
      can be used as a hard undercoating to prevent checking of fir plywood.

      Thanks,

      Nels
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 6, 2006
        On Tuesday 07 November 2006 02:52, Nels wrote:
        > The thing is that fir is readily available here and the other stuff
        > has to be shipped in - which is a significant factor these days.

        I agree. I live in Asia and I would have to import fir plywood if I actually
        wanted to use it. The shipping cost makes importing it impractical of
        course, especially when I would more than likely ship the finished boat back
        to the USA anyways. Better to use the local woods, they are often higher
        quality anyways, and always much less costly.

        Some designers specify fir but for their boats I can easily substitute Meranti
        or other suitable tropical Asian hardwood species. There are lots of good
        woods for boat building in Asia. The local boat builders have been using
        them for thousands of years, so I feel very fortunate to have this wealth of
        experience available to me locally.

        Sincerely,
        Kenneth Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks