Re: Gypsy Harmonica Progress

  • vexatious2001
    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 31, 2006
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, doc <Malomac@...> wrote:

      > If you have any fiberglass cloth or mat,,, just cut it up and you
      have fibers !!!!

      > Where can milled glass fibers be obtained and are they available in
      > different lengths and not just as a powder?

      You can buy milled glass fibers from most epoxy
      suppliers, although you don't get a choice of
      length; I think the stuff I have bought was
      about 1/4" to 3/8" in length.

      As, as already mentioned, you can "manufacture"
      your own to your own prefered specs.

      I have heard of people using ordinary fiberglass
      house insulation as epoxy filler but have never
      tried it myself.

      Max
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 6, 2006
        On Tuesday 07 November 2006 02:52, Nels wrote:
        > The thing is that fir is readily available here and the other stuff
        > has to be shipped in - which is a significant factor these days.

        I agree. I live in Asia and I would have to import fir plywood if I actually
        wanted to use it. The shipping cost makes importing it impractical of
        course, especially when I would more than likely ship the finished boat back
        to the USA anyways. Better to use the local woods, they are often higher
        quality anyways, and always much less costly.

        Some designers specify fir but for their boats I can easily substitute Meranti
        or other suitable tropical Asian hardwood species. There are lots of good
        woods for boat building in Asia. The local boat builders have been using
        them for thousands of years, so I feel very fortunate to have this wealth of
        experience available to me locally.

        Sincerely,
        Kenneth Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks