Size reduction

  • Robert Paquette
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi, Everyone,
      For anyone who has the plans for Toto, how difficult would it be to
      reduce the lenght from 13' to 12' or 11'? What would be involved?
      Robert
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Paquette"
        <robertpaquette@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Everyone,
        > For anyone who has the plans for Toto, how difficult would it be to
        > reduce the lenght from 13' to 12' or 11'? What would be involved?
        > Robert

        You will notice that on the plywood layout on the plans,
        the stations are spaced (2) feet apart; you could re-space
        the stations closer together, say 20 inchs apart and draw
        the panels based on that. The transom and rear bulkhead
        bevels would be slightly off, but not by much, and a bit
        of thickener in the epoxy would take care of that problem.

        My bevels are not that accurate anyway.

        It would be simple ennough to do, but before that, read
        the "write-up" for the AFGrande plans @ the Duckworks online
        plans catalog. Jim M discusses how a relatively small
        reduction in the size of a boat can have a big effect
        on the capacity of said boat. He refers to a "scale-down"
        of a boat while you are only looking at shortening it,
        but a Toto does not have a lot of excess capacity to
        spare.

        It would be best to discuss this via e-mail with Jim M
        himself.

        I don't think that I would reduce the boat any.

        That's my opinion.

        And I always have one.

        max