Re: [Michalak] Digest Number 1626

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
      It's all very well for some to claim that the marginal cost of
      first-rate plywood is small, but that's true ONLY in part of the country.

      A first-rate sheet of, say, 3/8" occume will cost me, in Lawrence, KS,
      over $100. A sheet of luaun underlayment will cost me, here in town,
      about $11.

      Epoxy and fiberglass sheathed luaun is excellent boating material, under
      the right conditions. Recognizing these limits, there's no sense in
      buying the very best wood for most applications.

      I recognize that sometimes it would make sense, but you folks on the
      other side should recognize that sometimes, it doesn't.

      -Chris Crandall

      P.S. The only rotting wood on my Harmonica is some good quality douglas
      fir, and some trim red cedar.
    • howgegoboat
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
        Its even worse hearin Uk,
        Marine ply is very expensive, compared to hardwood ply, let alone
        pine construction ply, epoxy is also very expensive, straight paint
        on wood is very good appart from abrasion, make sure the first coat
        is well thinned 50% say and it will protect it better.
        John Welsford recommends just paint in some cases, see his group and
        search paint v epoxy.

        Planed chine chamfer on grandpa boat bottom, Fatcat 2 style, and
        will leave in two halves until he is in his new house by the sea,
        rather than transport 16ft bottom and bilge section down motorway.
        I'm sure he will not flinch at the price of epoxy anyway, its only
        my inheritance!
        And memories of him, my son and myself having fun are worth more
        than any cost of epoxy!
        Yours James

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

        > It's all very well for some to claim that the marginal cost of
        > first-rate plywood is small, but that's true ONLY in part of the
        country.

        > A first-rate sheet of, say, 3/8" occume will cost me, in Lawrence,
        KS,
        > over $100. A sheet of luaun underlayment will cost me, here in
        town,
        > about $11.
        >
        > Epoxy and fiberglass sheathed luaun is excellent boating material,
        under
        > the right conditions. Recognizing these limits, there's no sense
        in
        > buying the very best wood for most applications.
        >
        > I recognize that sometimes it would make sense, but you folks on
        the
        > other side should recognize that sometimes, it doesn't.
        >
        > -Chris Crandall
        >
        > P.S. The only rotting wood on my Harmonica is some good quality
        douglas
        > fir, and some trim red cedar.

      • vexatious2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2006
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@...> wrote:

          > It's all very well for some to claim that the marginal cost of
          > first-rate plywood is small, but that's true ONLY in part of the
          country.

          I agree.

          And I will add that, with larger boats (yachts) the cost of
          the hull (materials & labor) is a relatively small portion
          of the total cost of the vessel.

          With these small, simple boats, however, the hull IS the whole boat,
          so an increase in the cost of the hull is a significant
          increase.

          Finally, trailers and outboard motors and even sail rigs can
          be transfered to a new hull fairly easily, so if the hull
          rots-out prematurely, a new hull can be built that utilizes
          these existing components, reducing the cost of the replacement.

          Plus building a new hull gives one the opportunity to
          "correct" everything one did "wrong" on the first hull.

          I can get 6 mm & 4 mm BS 1088 locally, and will use that in
          situations that call for those thicknessess, but for other
          sizes of ply I will have to use what I can get locally without
          paying for crating and shipping.

          Max