Re: [Michalak] Digest Number 1585

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11 8:27 AM
      > 1. Re: Lets talk about MDO
      > Posted by: "Joe Tribulato" scsbmsjoe@... scsbmsjoe
      > Date: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:39 pm (PDT)
      >
      > Might be worth inquiring at a reputable lumber yard if they can order
      > MDO for you in 3/8 and/or 1/2 inch. Likely to cost more that way but
      > it could be worth it if that is what you want. Civilian sign painters
      > also use it so you could ask them too. I am considering it for a 16 ft
      > power camper which specifies those sizes. An AF4 was built with it and
      > the builder (John Bell?) gave it high marks.

      I have used MDO, and it's pretty good--a reasonable step down from the
      tropical hardwood ply, at a reasonable price, and more widely available
      and renewable.

      I could not get 3/8 in double sided, and had to use 1/2 inch. It's very
      nice stuff--no voids, but some of the inner plys do have knots. Still,
      perfectly suitable to my 22-foot displacement power cruiser.

      -Chris
    • John and Kathy Trussell
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11 5:38 PM
        This comes up every couple of months, and a search of past e-mails will turn up some information.

        I built the Toon 19 shown in Jim's Index pages out of 3/8's" Signal MDO. It's nice stuff to work with. I've made a lot of cuts in it with no sign of a void and the only defect I found was one pin knot about 1/4" in diameter. I've cut it with a saber saw, a skill saw, a rasp, a power planer and a side grinder with no sign of splimtering. I've had a scrap sitting outide on the ground for nearly 2 years with no delamination. It's good stuff IF your boat calls for 3/8's" or 1/2" ply. Unfortunately, I don't think it is made in 1/4" and many designs call for the thinner ply.

        John T