Re: AF4 limberholes 'n drains

  • mrusson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2006
      HEY...thanks for that definition.....i learn something everyday. So i
      would essentially be the skipper with a scupper?.......:o)

      Mike

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "builder_wannabe" <beattie@...> wrote:

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "mrusson" <mrusson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I like the
      > > idea of dividing that anchor well into a top half and bottom half,
      > > with limbers out the side of the boat just above that partition,
      >
      > Just to be pedantic, a hole to drain the anchor well directly
      > overboard, would be a scupper.

    • rhaldridge
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "mrusson" <mrusson@...> wrote:

        > > He's probably right about the drains in the cabin too. Although I
        > > like using the extra wood of the skid strips to house the plugs
        > in.

        Okay, how would folks house the drain plugs if they have to be in a
        part of the bottom where there's nothing but thin planking?

        I've though about just gluing a block to the inside of the planking,
        but then the water has to get higher than the thickness of the block
        in order to drain, and would leave a puddle the depth of the block.

        Then I thought about grooving the underside of the block, but then the
        plug would have to fit at precisely the right depth and there might
        still be dampness in the groove to worry about. I'm sure someone has
        come up with a good idea on this.

        Ray
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/rob/index9.htm

          Read Rob's column on this subject, Ray - anyone who does not read Duckworks
          every day is going to miss out on just this kind of thing.
          Chuck

          > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "mrusson" <mrusson@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > He's probably right about the drains in the cabin too. Although I
          > > > like using the extra wood of the skid strips to house the plugs
          > > in.
          >
          > Okay, how would folks house the drain plugs if they have to be in a
          > part of the bottom where there's nothing but thin planking?
          >
          > I've though about just gluing a block to the inside of the planking,
          > but then the water has to get higher than the thickness of the block
          > in order to drain, and would leave a puddle the depth of the block.
          >
          > Then I thought about grooving the underside of the block, but then the
          > plug would have to fit at precisely the right depth and there might
          > still be dampness in the groove to worry about. I'm sure someone has
          > come up with a good idea on this.
          >
          > Ray
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
        • rhaldridge
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2006
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@...> wrote:

            > http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/rob/index9.htm
            >
            > Read Rob's column on this subject, Ray - anyone who does not read
            Duckworks
            > every day is going to miss out on just this kind of thing.
            > Chuck

            Perfect, Chuck, thanks. I do read Duckworks a lot, and I learn
            something useful each time. By the way, I've been trying to find an
            article I'd seen mentioned, on sewing the sail for your Caprice, but I
            haven't had any luck.

            Ray
          • Chuck Leinweber
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 2, 2006
              http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/capsails/index.htm

              > Perfect, Chuck, thanks. I do read Duckworks a lot, and I learn
              > something useful each time. By the way, I've been trying to find an
              > article I'd seen mentioned, on sewing the sail for your Caprice, but I
              > haven't had any luck.
              >
              > Ray

            • Rob Rohde-Szudy
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 3, 2006
                Hey Chris, I certainly don't begrudge you that opinion. It is indeed "tweaky". In many waters I would prefer your solution, but the lakes here in Madison are so damned weedy (from all the golf course fertilizer...) that any protrusion gets "bushy" pretty fast. It clearer water, the DW kayak plug would certainly make for an easier installation.
                --Rob

                3b.
                Posted by: "Chris Crandall" crandall@... christiancrandall
                Date: Wed Aug 2, 2006 9:50 am (PDT)

                Rob's solution is OK, but tweaky, expensive, and unhandsome, IMHO.

                I prefer the solution I used on my Harmonica. I purchased a complete
                assembly for drains for a kayak. It comes with a housing, screws,
                washer, and plug, and costs about $%. I drilled a neat hole for it,
                gooped on plenty of bedding compound, and screwed it into place. While
                it's not flush, like the "Hamernik Hull Drain", it works just fine.