Lumberyard boat in WoodenBoat

  • Bryant Owen
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
      Got my WoodenBoat yesterday and looked at the new feature intended to
      get more people into boatbuilding - the WoodenBoat way. While it's a
      lovely design and I'm sure will be a real spiff boat when done, I'm
      struck with how complicated it is compared to many of Jim M's designs.

      Hmmmm.

      Bryant
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2006
        People build boats for lots of different reasons. Some want a boat to use.
        Some want a boat that other people will admire. Some build just for the
        enjoyment of the process. Some want to get it over with. Most people
        probably have a combination of motives. I do. And mine have changed.
        These days I'm more likely to spend a little extra time and money to get
        something a bit more pleasing to the eye.
        Chuck

        > Got my WoodenBoat yesterday and looked at the new feature intended to
        > get more people into boatbuilding - the WoodenBoat way. While it's a
        > lovely design and I'm sure will be a real spiff boat when done, I'm
        > struck with how complicated it is compared to many of Jim M's designs.
        >
        > Hmmmm.
        >
        > Bryant

      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
          There is a beauty in function. I remember John
          Gardner's book where he speaks about the lumber yard
          skiff or flat Iron skiff. How a man could build it
          fairly fast with lower cost and the boat would give a
          good 10 years of use and by that time the owner would
          be ready to go onto something else.

          These boats can row, hold a small outboard and if set
          up right outsail many of the sail boats costing
          thousands more.

          Yes this old traditional design opens the door for
          many to make a connection to the water and share that
          connection with family and friends. And isn't that
          what it is really about. Ponder that the next time a
          lumber yard skiff sails by with a smiling owner.
          Lon

          --- Chuck Leinweber <chuck@...>
          wrote:

          > People build boats for lots of different reasons.
          > Some want a boat to use.
          > Some want a boat that other people will admire. Some
          > build just for the
          > enjoyment of the process. Some want to get it over
          > with. Most people
          > probably have a combination of motives. I do. And
          > mine have changed.
          > These days I'm more likely to spend a little extra
          > time and money to get
          > something a bit more pleasing to the eye.
          > Chuck
          >
          > > Got my WoodenBoat yesterday and looked at the new
          > feature intended to
          > > get more people into boatbuilding - the WoodenBoat
          > way. While it's a
          > > lovely design and I'm sure will be a real spiff
          > boat when done, I'm
          > > struck with how complicated it is compared to many
          > of Jim M's designs.
          > >
          > > Hmmmm.
          > >
          > > Bryant
          >
          > --
          > Release Date: 7/3/2006

          > --------------------~-->
          > Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the
          > enhanced email design.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/6mbrlB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • John and Kathy Trussell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
            A traditional, cross planked, flat bottomed skiff is somewhat deceptive. They are simple to build. A well designed skiff can row or sail well, carry a load, and draw little water. However, conventional cross planked construction relies on the wood being constantly immersed so the planks swell and form water tight seams between the planks.

            Most of us do not have a place where the boat can be kept in the water. Most of us "dry sail" our boats and transport them on trailers or car top them. During the course of transport, a lot of air blows over the boat, creating drying conditions. As a result, a dry sailed, cross planked skiff will leak very badly when launched and continue to leak for a day or so.

            If you must dry sail a cross planked skiff, your options are a double planked bottom with a layer of muslin and pine tar between the layers, a splined bottom, or a strip planked bottom. Alternatively, there is always plywood....

            Pete Culler drew several very attractive skiffs and I admire them greatly, but cross planked bottoms are just not suitable for my uses.

            John T

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
              In all fairness to WB they do show a double planked bottom though
              omitting the muslin/tar or equivalent and do admit to what seems to be
              minimal leaking possibilities with single planking.

              I grew up with these flat iron skiffs workboats (and I do mean
              workboats) and was around when the transition from cross planking (T&G
              IIRC) to ply came - along with ply for the sides.

              Oddly WB gives credit to Walter Baron of Old Wharf Dory Company re his
              Lumberyard skiff where he, in turn credits his inspiration from
              Brockway. Both Baron and Brockway earlier built in ply.

              My point wasn't to dis WB for their effort in getting people started
              in building wooden boats - good for them - but that this boat is a bit
              of a stretch for the "absolute beginner" and that there are better
              choices for easy building for beginners. I say build a quick and easy
              one first, get the bug and then look at their offering.

              Just my opinion.

              Bryant

              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John and Kathy Trussell"
              <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

              > A traditional, cross planked, flat bottomed skiff is somewhat
              deceptive. They are simple to build. A well designed skiff can row
              or sail well, carry a load, and draw little water. However,
              conventional cross planked construction relies on the wood being
              constantly immersed so the planks swell and form water tight seams
              between the planks.

              > Most of us do not have a place where the boat can be kept in the
              water. Most of us "dry sail" our boats and transport them on trailers
              or car top them. During the course of transport, a lot of air blows
              over the boat, creating drying conditions. As a result, a dry sailed,
              cross planked skiff will leak very badly when launched and continue to
              leak for a day or so.

              > If you must dry sail a cross planked skiff, your options are a
              double planked bottom with a layer of muslin and pine tar between the
              layers, a splined bottom, or a strip planked bottom. Alternatively,
              there is always plywood....

              > Pete Culler drew several very attractive skiffs and I admire them
              greatly, but cross planked bottoms are just not suitable for my uses.

              > John T

              7/4/2006

            • Cray Lester
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2006
                This brings back old memories: my first boating experience was in what
                sounds similar to this ... four 1"x10"x12' local sawmill cut yellow pine
                boards length-wise bottom with 1"x12" sawmill cut boards for the sides,
                stern and bow. Propelled by two oars each consisting of a shortened post
                hole digger handle with a 1x8x16 board. I remember thinking at the time
                (about the age of 9 or 10) that that boat was probably older than I was. It
                resided in a large farm pond with bass, perch and catfish, and was on
                private property but public use was accepted as long as you closed the gates
                behind you. Standard and expected procedure was you used one of the
                "resident" buckets lying around to bail it out before use, and to sink it at
                the edge when finished. That farm pond in east central North Carolina
                provided Friday night fish-fry events for many, many weeks over the next few
                summers. All this with a very favorite uncle who was only 4 years older
                than I ...

                I haven't thought about that for more years than I care to remember - Thanks
                for the glowing reminders!!!!

                Having said that - I'm about two or three weeks from starting my Michalak's
                16x5 Jonsboat; at 66, I'm think I'm going back to my childhood, at least in
                mind and heart. Getting rid of a 17.5' fiberglass trihull w/120HP O/B to
                make room for more meaningful water adventures.

                Reminds me of a bumper sticker my youngest son had when he was about 16,
                "When I grow up, I want to be a Kid!!"

                Good Wood-boating to you all,

                Cray L.

                _____

                A traditional, cross planked, flat bottomed skiff is somewhat deceptive.
                They are simple to build. A well designed skiff can row or sail well, carry
                a load, and draw little water. However, conventional cross planked
                construction relies on the wood being constantly immersed so the planks
                swell and form water tight seams between the planks.

                Most of us do not have a place where the boat can be kept in the water. Most
                of us "dry sail" our boats and transport them on trailers or car top them.
                During the course of transport, a lot of air blows over the boat, creating
                drying conditions. As a result, a dry sailed, cross planked skiff will leak
                very badly when launched and continue to leak for a day or so.

                <<snipped for brevity>>

                New Message Search

                Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved
                message search.

                Share
                <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJtZmNubTl2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BF9wAzIEZ3JwSW
                QDNDczODY5MgRncnBzcElkAzE2MDA4ODQwOTAEc2VjA25jbW9kBHNsawNmZGJjawRzdGltZQMxMT
                UyMTQ0NjY5;_ylg=1/SIG=11im36rmb/**http%3a//surveylink.yahoo.com/wix/p1412899
                .aspx> feedback on the new changes to Groups

                Recent Activity

                *

                3
                New
                <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJmM2ZqbnZtBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQ3Mz
                g2OTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwODg0MDkwBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzExNTIxNDQ2Nj
                k-;_ylg=1/SIG=11j9upqks/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/group/Michalak/members>
                Members

                Visit
                <http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJldW5qaXViBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzQ3Mz
                g2OTIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNjAwODg0MDkwBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTE1MjE0NDY2OQ
                --;_ylg=1/SIG=11bi69tjf/**http%3a//groups.yahoo.com/group/Michalak> Your
                Group
                .

                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=4738692&grpspId=1600884090&msgId
                =13117&stime=1152144669>

              • James Fuller
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
                  Hi,

                  If cost is a consideration, you could buy all of the wood for the plan,
                  if using plywood, for less than the cost of
                  four perfectly straight (if you could find them) not cupped :-) , pieces
                  of 1 x 10 clear pine. I'm not sure that the end product might not be
                  better too.
                  James Fuller

                • Chris Stewart
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Cray Lester" <craylester@...>

                    > Reminds me of a bumper sticker my youngest son had when he was about
                    16,
                    > "When I grow up, I want to be a Kid!!"

                    Or the words of wisdom I got from my 92 year old mother earlier this
                    week: "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

                    CM_Stewart
                  • Chris Stewart
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, James Fuller <james@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > If cost is a consideration, you could buy all of the wood for the
                      plan,
                      > if using plywood, for less than the cost of
                      > four perfectly straight (if you could find them) not cupped :-) ,
                      pieces
                      > of 1 x 10 clear pine. I'm not sure that the end product might not be
                      > better too.
                      > James Fuller

                      Or just build Jim's QT Skiff.

                      CM_Stewart
                    • mrballast
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 6, 2006
                        I think Jim's QT Skiff for a first boat is a great suggestion. A boy
                        who attends the school where I work spent the first two weeks of his
                        summer vacation staying with my family and building a QT rowing skiff.
                        I'd show him how to do a process or use a tool and then he took over.
                        He finished in two weeks (except for painting) working at a fairly
                        relaxed pace and the boat is 95%+ his work. He is from inner city
                        Memphis and had zero woodworking skills prior to the build. We worked
                        from the plans in Jim's book. It was an incredible experience for him
                        (and me)to see something grow every day as the direct result of his
                        efforts. I do not believe this would have happened if we hadn't
                        stayed well with in a beginners range--and the QT is a pretty little boat!