Re: Paddling a Toto

  • buildboats
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
      On my Toto I used a milk crate against the bulkhead then a regular
      boat cushion against it for padding as a backrest, I also used a
      second boat cushion to sit on, rasied me up and made it
      comfortable. The milk crate was also good to keep a small cooler,
      tackle box etc.

      Tom

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, eric S <u23b_2311@...> wrote:

      > I took my TOTO out for a solo paddle Sunday for the
      > first time. I built a ninety degree offset double
      > paddle as called for in Jim's plans.
      >
      > I kept hitting the sides of the boat with the handle
      > of the paddles so I think the paddles need to be a bit
      > longer. I may add a foot to the paddle and also reduce
      > to offset to 30 degrees or so.
      >
      > As I paddled I had a hard time keeping a straight
      > course. I pretty much zig zagged my way up and back
      > down the river,,,
      >
      > Would a keel make the Toto track straighter?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > eric

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • adventures_in_astrophotography
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hi Eric,

        > I installed the Skeg as called for in the Plans.

        I've built and paddled two Totos, and in my view the skeg shown on
        the plans is inadequate. If I were doing it again, I'd make the skeg
        shorter lengthwise and as deep as possbile without going any deeper
        than the belly of the boat. It would also help to fair the skeg
        leading and trailing edges. I made a skeg like this (short, deep,
        and faired) for Robote, and it tracks beautifully. That result has
        me tempted to cut the skegs off my Totos and replace them.

        > I do need to come up with some type of seat and back
        > support.

        Bolger, among others, strongly recommends against using a backrest
        for double paddling. He claims it will cause lower back pain. I
        like the idea of a backrest close behind, but not supporting my back
        until I lean back to take a break. A duffle and a boat cushion or
        two work well. I also found that just leaning back against the aft
        bulkhead while wearing a PFD provides a comfortable resting/drifting
        position.

        Jon Kolb
      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
          I think your problem is mostly technique. I should know, since I seem to have the same problem. First, I can't see much reason for an offset paddle unless you're paddling into a strong wind, and the offset seems harder on the wrists. Here's the main trick. You're trying to make it work with the paddle as horizontal as possible, and that's not wha Toto is designed for. She's meant to be paddled with the paddle quite close to vertical. Almost like a single paddle that you can flip to switch sides. This brings the thrust in closer, which yaws the boat much less. I hate how this gets me wet, so I actually find a single paddle more civilized in Toto. With the trust brought in closer, the skeg is enough as designed. To paddle "flatter", you need a bigger skeg, a higher seat, and probably a narrower boat! --Rob

        • eric S
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
            Thanks to all who responded

            I will try a longer paddle with no offset and some
            type of seat setup. I am not sure I really want to sit
            any higher in the boat. I was sitting on a throwable
            cushion when I was paddling... I may have been doing
            some type of "J" stroke so as the paddle left the
            water at the end of the stroke is was pushing to the
            side instead of the back..

            Joe thanks for the link below... I love your boats...

            eric

            http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/designs/tribulato/pirogue/index.cfm
            > All my flat botttom boats need a skeg to function.
            >
            > Joe T

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Chris Hill
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
              As an experienced double-paddler in both whitewater boats (which turn
              even when you don't want to) and sea kayaks (which track straight for
              50 yards without any stroking), I'll just say... see what Rob said. I
              think he nailed it. And as for the drip-on-your-lap problem,
              seakayakers sometimes put little rubber cuffs on the paddles about a
              foot inboard of the blade to prevent that.

              Well, I'll add one more thing to Rob's advice - those squiggles in the
              wake will eventually straighten out even without a skeg. It helps if
              you maintain a steady rhythm while paddling. Steady gentle stroking
              rather than giant lunges and occasional big corrections. Tiny
              corrections become part of your stroke, kind of like riding a bicycle.
              But a skeg will make things simpler on flatwater.

              Chris

              On Thursday, June 1, 2006, at 09:37 AM, Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote:

              > I think your problem is mostly technique. I should know, since I seem
              > to have the same problem. First, I can't see much reason for an offset
              > paddle unless you're paddling into a strong wind, and the offset seems
              > harder on the wrists. Here's the main trick. You're trying to make it
              > work with the paddle as horizontal as possible, and that's not wha
              > Toto is designed for. She's meant to be paddled with the paddle quite
              > close to vertical. Almost like a single paddle that you can flip to
              > switch sides. This brings the thrust in closer, which yaws the boat
              > much less. I hate how this gets me wet, so I actually find a single
              > paddle more civilized in Toto. With the trust brought in closer, the
              > skeg is enough as designed. To paddle "flatter", you need a bigger
              > skeg, a higher seat, and probably a narrower boat! --Rob

            • GarthAB
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
                Eric --

                Last year we took Cormorant up to Indian Lake (probably passing within
                15 miles of your house on the way up Rt. 30), but this year we dropped
                that trip in favor of an August cruise in Maine (Penobscot Bay), plus
                Cape Cod in July. There's a chance we'll do a late-season weekend on
                Sacandaga.

                I'd love to see the AF4G some day, somehow.

                In any case -- happy boating!

                All best,
                Garth