Re: [Michalak] Piccup Question...

  • Derek Waters
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2006
      Hello John

      It's a while since I built my Piccup, and I no longer remember which side of
      the bilge panel goes where, but I can assure you it becomes fairly obvious
      once you get the boat three dimensional - the bilge panels are an obvious
      fit into their spaces one way and not a good fit the other.
      As to why the bilge and bottom are overlength: I'd suggest that the boat
      takes its form from the sides and the bulkheads. Slight differences from one
      builder to the next would play havoc if all the parts were given as exact
      shapes. The way Jim does things means that you have enough material to "trim
      to fit". You can attach the relevant panels and do the internal taping then
      trim off the excess before doing the tape [and any glass work] on the
      exterior.

      cheers
      Derek
    • Rob Rohde-Szudy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        On piccup bilge panels...

        I think it would be easier to scribe to fit. I cut to the plans leaving excess, and still wound up with gaps to fiberglass. Being a little bit off in twist can really mess up the shape of these.

        I set it up with sides, bulkheads, transoms and bottom. Then sight it in carefully and repeatedly. Then "clamp" some plywood on with sheetrock screws and trace the shape from inside the hull. That's the tightest joint you'll get without planing.

        --Rob

      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2006
          Rob: you are a lot smarter than you look. This is an excellent suggestion.

          Chuck

          > On piccup bilge panels...
          >
          > I think it would be easier to scribe to fit. I cut to the plans leaving
          excess, and still
          > wound up with gaps to fiberglass. Being a little bit off in twist can
          really mess up the
          > shape of these.
          >
          > I set it up with sides, bulkheads, transoms and bottom. Then sight it in
          carefully
          > and repeatedly. Then "clamp" some plywood on with sheetrock screws and
          trace
          > the shape from inside the hull. That's the tightest joint you'll get
          without planing.

          > --Rob

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --
        • John and Kathy Trussell
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2006
            Two tricks that work at least some of the time.

            1) Mark the center line on all frames/bulkheads/ transoms. Screw a stick to
            each of these so that one edge of the stick is lined up on the centerline.
            (You need to screw the stick to the same side of the centerline on each
            frame,/etc.) When you attach the sides to the frames/etc, you can sight
            down the sticks. Any twist or unfairness will jump out at you.

            2) When the hull is wired together but not yet glued up, run a tape measure
            diagonally from the port corner of the transom to the starboard corner of
            the bow transom. Repeat the other way. If the measurements are not
            identical, fiddle with things until they are.

            Have fun.

            John T