Piccup Question...

  • John Guppy
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2006
      How's it going?

      I've finally made some real progress on my Piccup... I have all the hull pieces cut out and
      butt jointed with fiberglass, and I have the bulkheads cut out as well. I started stitching in
      the temporary bulkhead "B" to the bottom panel and now I'm not sure which way the bilge
      panels stitch in. Does the straight edge or the round edge stitch to the bottom panel? At
      this point I'm guessing it is the flat edge, but I would like to make sure.

      Also, why do the plans/directions call for an extra 1" of plywood left on the ends of
      bottom panel and the bilge panel, but not on the side panels? Is there a certain point in
      the construction that this should be cut off?

      Thanks for any help... hoping to get her in the water soon!

      John Guppy
      Cannon Beach, OR
    • Derek Waters
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2006
        Hello John

        It's a while since I built my Piccup, and I no longer remember which side of
        the bilge panel goes where, but I can assure you it becomes fairly obvious
        once you get the boat three dimensional - the bilge panels are an obvious
        fit into their spaces one way and not a good fit the other.
        As to why the bilge and bottom are overlength: I'd suggest that the boat
        takes its form from the sides and the bulkheads. Slight differences from one
        builder to the next would play havoc if all the parts were given as exact
        shapes. The way Jim does things means that you have enough material to "trim
        to fit". You can attach the relevant panels and do the internal taping then
        trim off the excess before doing the tape [and any glass work] on the
        exterior.

        cheers
        Derek
      • Rob Rohde-Szudy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2006
          On piccup bilge panels...

          I think it would be easier to scribe to fit. I cut to the plans leaving excess, and still wound up with gaps to fiberglass. Being a little bit off in twist can really mess up the shape of these.

          I set it up with sides, bulkheads, transoms and bottom. Then sight it in carefully and repeatedly. Then "clamp" some plywood on with sheetrock screws and trace the shape from inside the hull. That's the tightest joint you'll get without planing.

          --Rob

        • Chuck Leinweber
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2006
            Rob: you are a lot smarter than you look. This is an excellent suggestion.

            Chuck

            > On piccup bilge panels...
            >
            > I think it would be easier to scribe to fit. I cut to the plans leaving
            excess, and still
            > wound up with gaps to fiberglass. Being a little bit off in twist can
            really mess up the
            > shape of these.
            >
            > I set it up with sides, bulkheads, transoms and bottom. Then sight it in
            carefully
            > and repeatedly. Then "clamp" some plywood on with sheetrock screws and
            trace
            > the shape from inside the hull. That's the tightest joint you'll get
            without planing.

            > --Rob

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --
          • John and Kathy Trussell
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2006
              Two tricks that work at least some of the time.

              1) Mark the center line on all frames/bulkheads/ transoms. Screw a stick to
              each of these so that one edge of the stick is lined up on the centerline.
              (You need to screw the stick to the same side of the centerline on each
              frame,/etc.) When you attach the sides to the frames/etc, you can sight
              down the sticks. Any twist or unfairness will jump out at you.

              2) When the hull is wired together but not yet glued up, run a tape measure
              diagonally from the port corner of the transom to the starboard corner of
              the bow transom. Repeat the other way. If the measurements are not
              identical, fiddle with things until they are.

              Have fun.

              John T