half size oarlocks

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
      Chris: For half size oarlocks jsut make thole pins. 3/8" bolts should work fine for a kid, though 1/2" are standard. I'm with Garth, though, that a mouseboat would probably be better. Remember that boats lose capacity at about the cube of the size change. Half size equates to 1/4 the capacity or less. --Rob

    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
        What about eye bolts running in a pair of t-nuts? Bigger ones might be
        handy regular oarlocks as well, come to think of it. I may have to try
        this. It's got to be cheaper than regular oar locks! Caveat: you have
        to have a way of sliding the oars out of the locks, otherwise you're
        going to have to spin the oars along with the locks to undo. Better
        make sure everyone nearby ducks when you do this. More thought
        required, I guess...
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Rob Rohde-Szudy <robrohdeszudy@...>
        wrote:

        > Chris: For half size oarlocks jsut make thole pins. 3/8" bolts
        should work fine for a kid, though 1/2" are standard. I'm with Garth,
        though, that a mouseboat would probably be better. Remember that boats
        lose capacity at about the cube of the size change. Half size equates
        to 1/4 the capacity or less. --Rob

      • John and Kathy Trussell
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
          Bolger drew some homemade locks which consisted of a short length of pipe with a bolt going through the pipe and a strap in a D shape. The bolt went through one end of the strap, through the piece of pipe, through the other end of the strap, and into the oarlock socket. These could be made in most any size....

          John T
          wrote:

          > Chris: For half size oarlocks jsut make thole pins. 3/8" bolts
          should work fine for a kid, though 1/2" are standard. I'm with Garth,
          though, that a mouseboat would probably be better. Remember that boats
          lose capacity at about the cube of the size change. Half size equates
          to 1/4 the capacity or less. --Rob

          Building design Building design software Metal building design

        • Chuck Leinweber
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
            Rob Rohde-Szudy wrote an article on this subject:

            http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/05/columns/rob/2/index.cfm

            Chuck

            > Bolger drew some homemade locks which consisted of a short length of pipe
            with a
            > bolt going through the pipe and a strap in a D shape. The bolt went
            through one
            > end of the strap, through the piece of pipe, through the other end of the
            strap, and
            > into the oarlock socket. These could be made in most any size....
            >
            > John T

          • Rob Rohde-Szudy