Rants about bureaucracy based on too little info

  • crandall
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      I'd turn the rant machine down a little. The complaint is based on a
      misunderstanding of the rule, that is, you've only got part of the process
      here (the rule of thumb LxW/15). There's more to it than that. If you want a
      real capacity plate, follow the real rules.

      You might find that the USCG is a reasonable group of folks. Unless your
      talking imigration policy, and there's no gainsaying that.
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2006
        IMHO, any regulation of rowboats is pointless and counterproductive.
        It puts people in canoes, whi8ch are not regulated. Canoes are fine if
        you know what you are doing, but if you don't, you can get into
        trouble faster than with rowboats. I'm not beefing about the Coast
        Guard in general, I'm sure that in most cases they are very
        reasonable. I'm beefing about whoever wrote the rules and the mindset
        that generated them. I'm sure the real rules are fine when you are
        going to make 50 rowboats. I'm not. I remember a general sense of
        futility, back when I thought of doing things legally and checked
        them. Meanwhile that equation, easy as it is, correlates poorly with
        the real world, except possibly for my nemesis, the tin motor skiff. I
        admit there are more egregious examples of over (or under) regulation
        out there, in different areas.