Re: [Michalak] Re: $20 tool for $5 part

  • Gene T
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2006
      But acording to the calculations a tool could only be used on one job! Thats what it was saying to me. Now if you could actually save that $20 tool and use it again, then that is different, more complicated math. Possibly long division or something even worse would be required to calculate the the ultimate cost of a job.

      Gene T.

      From: Gene T <goldranger02-boats@...>
      I like the math but it hurts me to throw the tool away when I'm done!

      Gene T.

      Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:48:50 -0000
      From: "awellbalancedgun"
      Subject: Re: $20 tool for $5 part

      I see absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. In this case,
      using a $20.00 tool and a $5.00 part probably produced a $30.00 job
      where a $2.00 tool and the $5.00 part would likely have produced a
      $3.00 job.

      Makes complete sense.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      Building design Building design software Home building design plan

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "Michalak" on the web.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Steven Lewis
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
        I think Max gets the solid chocolate Easter bunny for that one. But I
        gotta ask...doesn't the collection of antique motors come up to a bit
        over $1000??

        Steve

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury112@...> wrote:

        > $12,000.00 garage (22 feet by 24 feet) in order to
        > build /work on /store about $1,000.00 in "toys" (boats,
        > outboard motors, etc.)
        >

        > Max

      • fogovonslack
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6, 2006
          Don't worry--I still have the 2" Forstner bit stashed away.

          Unfortunately, I haven't needed it again, so it's still amotized over
          the single job. I guess I just need to add a few more drains bring
          down the cost-per-use.

          Tidmarsh

          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Gene T <goldranger02-boats@...> wrote:

          > But acording to the calculations a tool could only be used on one
          job! Thats what it was saying to me. Now if you could actually save
          that $20 tool and use it again, then that is different, more
          complicated math. Possibly long division or something even worse
          would be required to calculate the the ultimate cost of a job.

          > Gene T.

        • vexatious2001
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2006
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Lewis" <numbaoneman@...>
            wrote:

            > I think Max gets the solid chocolate Easter bunny for that one.
            But I
            > gotta ask...doesn't the collection of antique motors come up to a
            bit
            > over $1000??
            >
            > Steve

            Well, what you have to keep in mind is that I try to keep
            a little space open in the garage for projects (although
            right now mostly junk occupies that space.)

            Some of the boats are outside (AF4, Oracle, Larsboat, Aerocraft
            (1950 10 foot aluminum)), leaving only the Crestliner and
            the (2) Feathercrafts in the garage, along with mostly
            50's vintage outboards. Some of the outboards (maybe 20)
            reside in a storage shed, while most of the pre-WW II outboards
            (maybe 70 or 80 ??) are in the basement.

            Max