Re: [Michalak] Plywood just failed!

  • John Sweeney
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2006
      ten years aint bad for stored outdoors and only a little stain and only half inch ply.
      John
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
        I replaced mine with a sheet of that green treated stuff. Expect it to
        outlast me. Half inch is a bit light. Think I used 5/8 or 3/4.

        Joe T

        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "n4613w6019" <bmckeough@...> wrote:

        > Woe is me.For a dump trip stepped a'bd my trailor and my leg went
        > through to the ground.My green card runs out in march(good for 10
        > yrs.) and put 1/2 inch ply on the trailor when I got it;That was 11
        > yrs ago!Stored outdoors,one application; and never touched since ,of
        > house stain.Don't use that cheap exterior plywood!Ah ha ha!Bill
        > Longwind.

      • bar_none_corkscrew
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
          Bill Longwind,
          Good last name, hope you are a sailor.
          I think that you should take the plywood back to the lumber yard and
          ask for your money back. Or did you get the ply at the dump? Sue the
          dump.
          Vince in Fort Myers,FL

        • pecostx@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
            Must be nice! Having a trailor, I mean.
            Geoff

            From: "bar_none_corkscrew" <vssantamaria@...>
            Bill Longwind,
            Good last name, hope you are a sailor.
            I think that you should take the plywood back to the lumber yard and
            ask for your money back. Or did you get the ply at the dump? Sue the
            dump.
            Vince in Fort Myers,FL
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "n4613w6019" <bmckeough@...> wrote:

            > Woe is me.For a dump trip stepped a'bd my trailor and my leg went
            > through to the ground.My green card runs out in march(good for 10
            > yrs.) and put 1/2 inch ply on the trailor when I got it;That was 11
            > yrs ago!Stored outdoors,one application; and never touched since ,of
            > house stain.Don't use that cheap exterior plywood!Ah ha ha!Bill
            > Longwind.

            Commercial building design Building design Steel building design

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "Michalak" on the web.

          • gravelyrider
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
              --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "n4613w6019" <bmckeough@...> wrote:

              > Woe is me.For a dump trip stepped a'bd my trailor and my leg went
              > through to the ground.My green card runs out in march(good for 10
              > yrs.) and put 1/2 inch ply on the trailor when I got it;That was 11
              > yrs ago!Stored outdoors,one application; and never touched since ,of
              > house stain.Don't use that cheap exterior plywood!Ah ha ha!Bill
              > Longwind.

              I built my basement of totally pressure treated 1/2 ply and 2x6 in
              July 1986 and it is still just as bone dry and solid as 20 years ago.
              They like to refer to it as All Weather Wood Foundation. Thats 20
              years below grade. I left one panel (under the stairs) un-insulated
              and un-sheet rocked so I could keep an eve on it. From the inside it
              looks like brand new. I've kept and eve on a few spots on the outside
              and it's fine. There are at least 2 grades of green wood, if you use
              the .60 CCA (as memory recalls), it's guaranteed for 40 yrs.

              Upstate NY is known for wet rainy, snowy, so this ain't no arid
              deseert application.

              Use the pressure treated.
            • cosermann
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2006
                The grade is the key. The lower grade stuff isn't rated for ground
                contact, yet people do it all the time. No one bothers to read the
                fine print.