AF4 Building question

  • pibracing
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2002
      Is the AF4 an easy boat to build? I don't have a lot of experience
      building boats but I did build a cheap canoe and am now building and
      elegant punt.I want to either build an AF4 or a Campjon.I bought the
      plans for Kayleigh
      http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=kayleigh.html&&cart_id=3765968_4770

      But it is way to complicated for me and to expensive to build.If
      anybody is interested in the Kayleigh plans just let me know.I will
      give you a good deal on them.I really would prefer to build the AF4 if
      its not to complicated.

      Thanks
      Mike
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26, 2002
        AF4 is very easy to build. I got mine knocked together in about 4 months of
        part time work. Plan on finding at motor of at least 8 HP, 15 HP is perfect.

        An aside, I recently acquired a GPS and have been doing some speed testing.
        Top speed with 15 horses has been 22 mph. I do find I do most of my running
        at half throttle or less, about 9-12mph. With 8 horses I believe 9-12 is
        doable, but you have run nearly wide open and light load.

        JB

        | Is the AF4 an easy boat to build? I don't have a lot of experience
        | building boats but I did build a cheap canoe and am now building and
        | elegant punt.I want to either build an AF4 or a Campjon.I bought the
        | plans for Kayleigh

        http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=kayleigh.html&&c
        art_id=3765968_4770

        | But it is way to complicated for me and to expensive to build.If
        | anybody is interested in the Kayleigh plans just let me know.I will
        | give you a good deal on them.I really would prefer to build the AF4 if
        | its not to complicated.
        |
        | Thanks
        | Mike

      • vexatious2001
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 26, 2002
          --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
          > Is the AF4 an easy boat to build? I don't have a lot of experience
          > building boats but I did build a cheap canoe and am now building and
          > elegant punt.I want to either build an AF4 or a Campjon.I bought the
          > plans for Kayleigh

          http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=kayleigh.h
          tml&&cart_id=3765968_4770

          > But it is way to complicated for me and to expensive to build.If
          > anybody is interested in the Kayleigh plans just let me know.I will
          > give you a good deal on them.I really would prefer to build the AF4
          if
          > its not to complicated.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Mike

          The Kayleigh is a beautifull boat; I still have the old issue
          of Small Boat Journal that it was featured in.

          But it is WAY harder to build than AF4. My AF4 took me about
          5 months to build, during a very cold winter with much time
          lost to sub-freezing temps.

          Plus, the AF4 comes in 3 different lengths.

          The Campjohn is real good for beaching; you can step
          ashore dry-shoed. The Sharpies, however, might be a bit
          better in rough water.

          And, of course, in the near future there will be plans
          for a 20 foot, multi-chine taped-seam cuddy powerboat
          available. You might e-mail Jim direct to find out
          when the Dorado plans will be out.

          Concerning the Kayleigh plans, I will just say this;
          I NEVER part with any of the plans I have purchased;
          you just never know when your situation might change
          and you might build the thing. I remember reading something
          somewhere on the internet where a guy bought a set of
          plans for a Devilin duckboat and built the thing.. 10 years
          after buying the plans.

          Max
        • lewisboats
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 27, 2002
            Lotta truth in that, Max. I bought a set of plans from Stevenson
            Projects, back when I was about 14, from Pop Sci or Pop Mec, for a Go
            Cart. I still have the plans and I intend to build one for my son.
            That's 26 years on hold, but one will get made. (Its the mini-indy, a
            wood go-cart that looks really neat, especially in the II version.
            Check out their site and look for the pictures section, you can still
            get to the plans from there).

            Steve.

            --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
            > --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
            > > Is the AF4 an easy boat to build? I don't have a lot of experience
            > Concerning the Kayleigh plans, I will just say this;
            > I NEVER part with any of the plans I have purchased;
            > you just never know when your situation might change
            > and you might build the thing. I remember reading something
            > somewhere on the internet where a guy bought a set of
            > plans for a Devilin duckboat and built the thing.. 10 years
            > after buying the plans.
            >

            > Max
          • Luke S
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 27, 2002
              Mike, Campjon was very easy to build and was also my first boat I have ever
              built. Fun.

              > Is the AF4 an easy boat to build? I don't have a lot of experience
              > building boats but I did build a cheap canoe and am now building and
              > elegant punt.I want to either build an AF4 or a Campjon.I bought the
              > plans for Kayleigh

              http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=kayleigh.html&&c
              art_id=3765968_4770

              > But it is way to complicated for me and to expensive to build.If
              > anybody is interested in the Kayleigh plans just let me know.I will
              > give you a good deal on them.I really would prefer to build the AF4 if
              > its not to complicated.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Mike

            • pibracing
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 27, 2002
                The problem is that the wife knows what I paid for them and now I want
                to buy another set of plans.I am kind of stuck with the plans anyway.

                -- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
                > --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
                > > Is the AF4 an easy boat to build? I don't have a lot of experience
                > > building boats but I did build a cheap canoe and am now building and
                > > elegant punt.I want to either build an AF4 or a Campjon.I bought the
                > > plans for Kayleigh
                > >
                > http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=kayleigh.h
                > tml&&cart_id=3765968_4770
                > >
                > > But it is way to complicated for me and to expensive to build.If
                > > anybody is interested in the Kayleigh plans just let me know.I will
                > > give you a good deal on them.I really would prefer to build the AF4
                > if
                > > its not to complicated.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > Mike
                >

                > The Kayleigh is a beautifull boat; I still have the old issue
                > of Small Boat Journal that it was featured in.
                >
                > But it is WAY harder to build than AF4. My AF4 took me about
                > 5 months to build, during a very cold winter with much time
                > lost to sub-freezing temps.
                >
                > Plus, the AF4 comes in 3 different lengths.
                >
                > The Campjohn is real good for beaching; you can step
                > ashore dry-shoed. The Sharpies, however, might be a bit
                > better in rough water.
                >
                > And, of course, in the near future there will be plans
                > for a 20 foot, multi-chine taped-seam cuddy powerboat
                > available. You might e-mail Jim direct to find out
                > when the Dorado plans will be out.
                >
                > Concerning the Kayleigh plans, I will just say this;
                > I NEVER part with any of the plans I have purchased;
                > you just never know when your situation might change
                > and you might build the thing. I remember reading something
                > somewhere on the internet where a guy bought a set of
                > plans for a Devilin duckboat and built the thing.. 10 years
                > after buying the plans.
                >

                > Max
              • pibracing
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 28, 2002
                  Hey Max,Is that remote steering on your AF4? Your boat is the one in
                  the pictures on this site?

                  --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
                  > --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
                  > > Is the AF4 an easy boat to build? I don't have a lot of experience
                  > > building boats but I did build a cheap canoe and am now building and
                  > > elegant punt.I want to either build an AF4 or a Campjon.I bought the
                  > > plans for Kayleigh
                  > >
                  > http://www.boatdesigns.com/cgi-bin/store/web_store.cgi?page=kayleigh.h
                  > tml&&cart_id=3765968_4770
                  > >
                  > > But it is way to complicated for me and to expensive to build.If
                  > > anybody is interested in the Kayleigh plans just let me know.I will
                  > > give you a good deal on them.I really would prefer to build the AF4
                  > if
                  > > its not to complicated.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > > Mike
                  >

                  > The Kayleigh is a beautifull boat; I still have the old issue
                  > of Small Boat Journal that it was featured in.
                  >
                  > But it is WAY harder to build than AF4. My AF4 took me about
                  > 5 months to build, during a very cold winter with much time
                  > lost to sub-freezing temps.
                  >
                  > Plus, the AF4 comes in 3 different lengths.
                  >
                  > The Campjohn is real good for beaching; you can step
                  > ashore dry-shoed. The Sharpies, however, might be a bit
                  > better in rough water.
                  >
                  > And, of course, in the near future there will be plans
                  > for a 20 foot, multi-chine taped-seam cuddy powerboat
                  > available. You might e-mail Jim direct to find out
                  > when the Dorado plans will be out.
                  >
                  > Concerning the Kayleigh plans, I will just say this;
                  > I NEVER part with any of the plans I have purchased;
                  > you just never know when your situation might change
                  > and you might build the thing. I remember reading something
                  > somewhere on the internet where a guy bought a set of
                  > plans for a Devilin duckboat and built the thing.. 10 years
                  > after buying the plans.
                  >

                  > Max
                • vexatious2001
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 28, 2002
                    --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
                    > Hey Max,Is that remote steering on your AF4? Your boat is the one in
                    > the pictures on this site?

                    Some of the photos in the AF4 photo album are of my
                    boat, and some of John Bell's.

                    My boat has full remote controls.

                    I have posted, to the AF4 photo album, a photo
                    labled "AF4steering" that pretty much shows the
                    steering system, before the throttle and shift
                    controls were added.

                    Max
                  • pibracing
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 28, 2002
                      That looks great,Please let me know if you get any other photos of the
                      controls.I was thinking about doing that when I build mine,I think I
                      would go with single cable steering istead of the pulley type.I think
                      it would save some room and make installation a little easier.I was
                      also thinking of making a small bench seat in the back in front of the
                      motor.That is really a great looking boat.Do you have any other photos
                      you could email me?

                      --- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
                      > --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
                      > > Hey Max,Is that remote steering on your AF4? Your boat is the one in
                      > > the pictures on this site?
                      > >

                      > Some of the photos in the AF4 photo album are of my
                      > boat, and some of John Bell's.
                      >
                      > My boat has full remote controls.
                      >
                      > I have posted, to the AF4 photo album, a photo
                      > labled "AF4steering" that pretty much shows the
                      > steering system, before the throttle and shift
                      > controls were added.
                      >

                      > Max
                    • vexatious2001
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                        --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
                        > That looks great,Please let me know if you get any other photos of
                        the
                        > controls.I was thinking about doing that when I build mine,I think I
                        > would go with single cable steering istead of the pulley type.I
                        think
                        > it would save some room and make installation a little easier.I was
                        > also thinking of making a small bench seat in the back in front of
                        the
                        > motor.That is really a great looking boat.Do you have any other
                        photos
                        > you could email me?

                        There used to be a whole bunch of photos posted over
                        in the Microboats group; I assume they are still
                        there.

                        Push-pull cable steering is easier to install, which is
                        why it has largely replaced cable-over-pulley systems,
                        and not because it is any better or safer, as the boat
                        manufacturers and dealers try to tell you.

                        Keep in mind that a push-pull cable system needs large
                        radius corners; about 8" radius corners if memory
                        serves me, which can take up a lot of room. They
                        are also expensive systems.

                        As to the bench seat, AF4's running with low horsepower
                        engines need to keep weight as far forward as possible.

                        Max
                      • pibracing
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                          I just checked out your photos at microboating and you really did a
                          great job on your boat.I really like that a lot,I have made up my mind
                          and I am going to build one.

                          Thanks
                          Mike C

                          -- In Michalak@y..., "vexatious2001" <cadbury@s...> wrote:
                          > --- In Michalak@y..., "pibracing" <mcerio02@t...> wrote:
                          > > That looks great,Please let me know if you get any other photos of
                          > the
                          > > controls.I was thinking about doing that when I build mine,I think I
                          > > would go with single cable steering istead of the pulley type.I
                          > think
                          > > it would save some room and make installation a little easier.I was
                          > > also thinking of making a small bench seat in the back in front of
                          > the
                          > > motor.That is really a great looking boat.Do you have any other
                          > photos
                          > > you could email me?
                          > >

                          > There used to be a whole bunch of photos posted over
                          > in the Microboats group; I assume they are still
                          > there.
                          >
                          > Push-pull cable steering is easier to install, which is
                          > why it has largely replaced cable-over-pulley systems,
                          > and not because it is any better or safer, as the boat
                          > manufacturers and dealers try to tell you.
                          >
                          > Keep in mind that a push-pull cable system needs large
                          > radius corners; about 8" radius corners if memory
                          > serves me, which can take up a lot of room. They
                          > are also expensive systems.
                          >
                          > As to the bench seat, AF4's running with low horsepower
                          > engines need to keep weight as far forward as possible.
                          >

                          > Max
                        • John Bell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                            Remote steering would be nice, I agree. However, one thing I'll say in favor
                            of my steering "system" is that it is cheap. A piece of PVC and a couple of
                            hose clamps set me back about $4, which is a pretty good deal. I find when
                            boating solo, I usually just stand at the center bulkhead with the helm
                            centered and steer by leaning to the right or left. I've run over ten miles
                            at a time this way, never touching the tiller. (You do need to be running
                            around 12 mph or so for this to work reliably, though)

                            As for the aft bench, I think I'd skip it. At any speed below 18-19 mph, the
                            boat is a lot happier with your weight forward. At higher speeds, 20+ mph
                            it'll go faster with your weight as far aft as possible. I was surprised to
                            learn this myself. I've been fooling around with a GPS and the data bears
                            this out very clearly. What I think happens when going really fast is
                            shifting the weight aft allows more of the hull to get out of the water and
                            reduces wetted surface. Unless you live on a glass-smooth mill pond, you
                            won't want to run your AF4 that fast very often. It feels best at speeds up
                            to 14-15 mph.

                            My boat has sailboat-like seating in the cockpit which we like very much. My
                            only complaint is that the benches are about 1.5" too low. I have to sit on
                            a float cushion (or two) to see over the bow at cruising speed. Mostly I
                            just stand, though.

                            There's a lot of pictures of the details of my boat on my web site.

                            Hope this helps,

                            John Bell <><
                            Kennesaw, GA
                            http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com
                          • pibracing
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                              I came accross your website a while back and I love the way your boat
                              looks.I cant wait to build one myself.I am painting my Elegant punt in
                              the morning and should have that boat done by the end of the week.I
                              built the Punt for the kids to take out.

                              --- In Michalak@y..., "John Bell" <jmbell@m...> wrote:

                              > Remote steering would be nice, I agree. However, one thing I'll say
                              in favor
                              > of my steering "system" is that it is cheap. A piece of PVC and a
                              couple of
                              > hose clamps set me back about $4, which is a pretty good deal. I
                              find when
                              > boating solo, I usually just stand at the center bulkhead with the helm
                              > centered and steer by leaning to the right or left. I've run over
                              ten miles
                              > at a time this way, never touching the tiller. (You do need to be
                              running
                              > around 12 mph or so for this to work reliably, though)
                              >
                              > As for the aft bench, I think I'd skip it. At any speed below 18-19
                              mph, the
                              > boat is a lot happier with your weight forward. At higher speeds,
                              20+ mph
                              > it'll go faster with your weight as far aft as possible. I was
                              surprised to
                              > learn this myself. I've been fooling around with a GPS and the data
                              bears
                              > this out very clearly. What I think happens when going really fast is
                              > shifting the weight aft allows more of the hull to get out of the
                              water and
                              > reduces wetted surface. Unless you live on a glass-smooth mill pond, you
                              > won't want to run your AF4 that fast very often. It feels best at
                              speeds up
                              > to 14-15 mph.
                              >
                              > My boat has sailboat-like seating in the cockpit which we like very
                              much. My
                              > only complaint is that the benches are about 1.5" too low. I have to
                              sit on
                              > a float cushion (or two) to see over the bow at cruising speed. Mostly I
                              > just stand, though.
                              >
                              > There's a lot of pictures of the details of my boat on my web site.
                              >
                              > Hope this helps,
                              >
                              > John Bell <><
                              > Kennesaw, GA
                              > http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com
                            • Stew Miller
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                                vexatious2001 wrote:
                                > Push-pull cable steering is easier to install, which is
                                > why it has largely replaced cable-over-pulley systems,
                                > and not because it is any better or safer, as the boat
                                > manufacturers and dealers try to tell you.

                                Also, I (and most folks I assume) could fix a cable-over-pulley system with simple tools. Say, on a remote island or in the middle of a lake. I doubt I could do that with a push-pull cable.

                                I have an AF4 question Max: Can you pilot while sitting, and see over the cabin?

                                Stew
                              • vexatious2001
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                                  > I have an AF4 question Max: Can you pilot while sitting, and see
                                  over the cabin?

                                  > Stew

                                  Depends on what your sitting on.

                                  Most of the time, I stand just inside the "slot"
                                  and lean against the cabin roof. I can reach
                                  the steering wheel from that position, and
                                  the boat likes my considerable weight there.

                                  I do have an old bar stool downstairs that i may
                                  cut down slightly for a "helm chair."

                                  I have steered while sitting on one of those
                                  folding canvas chairs all the discount stores
                                  sell, with (2) boat cushions on it.

                                  Max
                                • vexatious2001
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                                    --- In Michalak@y..., "John Bell" <jmbell@m...> wrote:

                                    > Remote steering would be nice, I agree. However, one thing I'll say
                                    in favor
                                    > of my steering "system" is that it is cheap. A piece of PVC and a
                                    couple of
                                    > hose clamps set me back about $4, which is a pretty good deal.

                                    That is the cheapest, simplest, and probably most reliable
                                    way to have "remote controls" in an AF4. Very little to
                                    go wrong with a tiller extentsion. Jim provides full
                                    details in one of his old newsletter.

                                    find when
                                    > boating solo, I usually just stand at the center bulkhead with the
                                    helm
                                    > centered and steer by leaning to the right or left. I've run over
                                    ten miles
                                    > at a time this way, never touching the tiller.

                                    Yea, but you need to lean the opposite way that you
                                    want to turn. Kinda seems "unnatural".

                                    > As for the aft bench, I think I'd skip it. At any speed below 18-19
                                    mph, the
                                    > boat is a lot happier with your weight forward.

                                    People considering an AF4 need to realize that, in order
                                    to get decent performance with low-horsepower-engines,
                                    the amount of, and placement of, weight is important.

                                    It may not matter too much in a 3000 lb fiberglass boat
                                    with V6 or V8 power, but it does matter in a plywood
                                    boat weighing a few hundred pounds and being pushed
                                    by maybe 15 hp.

                                    When I go AF4 cruising along with Jim and his AF4, one can
                                    really see the difference between an ultra-light AF4 (his)
                                    and an ultra-heavy AF4 (mine). I believe that there is
                                    about a 250 lb difference between the two boats, when
                                    loaded for an overnighter, and it shows in the performance.

                                    At higher speeds,
                                    20+ mph
                                    > it'll go faster with your weight as far aft as possible. I was
                                    surprised to
                                    > learn this myself. I've been fooling around with a GPS and the data
                                    bears
                                    > this out very clearly. What I think happens when going really fast
                                    is
                                    > shifting the weight aft allows more of the hull to get out of the
                                    water and
                                    > reduces wetted surface.

                                    The race-boat crowd would concur.

                                    Unless you live on a glass-smooth mill pond,
                                    you
                                    > won't want to run your AF4 that fast very often. It feels best at
                                    speeds up
                                    > to 14-15 mph.

                                    If even that fast- I think I average around 12 or 13.

                                    Max
                                  • John Bell
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 29, 2002
                                      From: "vexatious2001" <cadbury@...>

                                      | > centered and steer by leaning to the right or left. I've run over
                                      | ten miles
                                      | > at a time this way, never touching the tiller.
                                      |

                                      | Yea, but you need to lean the opposite way that you
                                      | want to turn. Kinda seems "unnatural".

                                      Max,

                                      As long as I'm going fast enough, say over 12 mph on the GPS, I can lean in
                                      the direction I want to turn. At lower speeds, say 8.5 to 10 mph, I can't
                                      get it to steer much at all by varying athwartships trim. At speeds of 8 mph
                                      or lower, it'll steer by leaning to the outside of the turn. What I think
                                      it's a function of is how much of the chine is in the water. At lower
                                      speeds, the forward sweep of the chine digs in and turns to the opposite of
                                      the direction of lean. At higher speeds, the boat is more on it's bottom and
                                      the forward half of the boat is completely out of the water, so the forward
                                      chines don't engage in when you lean the boat. I suspect the weight of the
                                      boat and the state of fore and aft trim makes a big difference too.

                                      I suspect I don't carry as much stuff as you normally do, and my boat is
                                      probably a bit lighter as well which would lead to your boat steering
                                      "backwards" on leaning at higher speeds than mine will. Try it running a bit
                                      faster and standing farther aft, I'll bet yours will steer into the lean
                                      instead of away from it too.

                                      JB