Re: River rowing and currents

  • bar_none_corkscrew
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
      Wojtek,
      Nice looking shallow water motor rig. I am interested in your
      comparison in performance on your boats between the sideboard motor
      and the 2.5 hp Yamaha. A similar but transom mounted motor is used
      in our Florida swamps. What does a sideboard motor cost in Euros?
      Thanks,
      Vince in Fort Myers,FL with the Shanteuse+8'
      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@t...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@t...>
      wrote:
      > > Two weeks ago I 've bought small (2,5 HP) sideboard motor, to
      keep
      > > it on campjon's transom as auxilliary, or to power polepunt in
      case
      > > of long cruise up the river.
      >

      > Well I see a little disorder with that "sideboard motor kept on
      > campjon's transom" :)
      >
      > Here is what I've bought actually:
      >
      > http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-tuemmler.html
      >
      > During her first cruise, our campjon with 2.5 hp yamaha outboard
      was
      > magaing very well with 3 adult persons onboard. This tuemmler
      motor is
      > expected to be mounted on campjon's transom as auxiliary (for
      shallow
      > areas), or mounted on polepunt's side .
      >
      > -Wojtek

    • wwbaginski
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "bar_none_corkscrew"
        <vssantamaria@m...> wrote:

        > Wojtek,
        > Nice looking shallow water motor rig. I am interested in your
        > comparison in performance on your boats between the sideboard
        motor
        > and the 2.5 hp Yamaha. A similar but transom mounted motor is used
        > in our Florida swamps. What does a sideboard motor cost in Euros?
        > Thanks,
        > Vince in Fort Myers,FL with the Shanteuse+8'

        Hi Vince-

        I believe Florida long tail motors are mostly air-cooled. European
        long tail motors use to be water cooled, and in fact, they are the
        remains of the past (they were designed before 2ww to power kayaks
        and bikes). Nowadays they are being replaced with electric motors
        which are absolutely noiseless, generate no exhaust gases or
        unnecessary waves. Of course they are not as nippy as petrol
        engines, but they are ideal for relaxed and comfortable travel (but
        they use to have vertical shafts, what makes troubles on shallows)

        My Tuemmler is made in 1977 in West Germany. I also know very
        similar Polish motors named Warta and Gad, but they have a cooling
        water inhaust located close to a propeller, what makes this motor
        not good for sandy shallows in my opinion. I've choosen Tuemmler
        which has its cooling water inhaust free and able to be mounted in
        any place of a boat.

        Well it 's a second hand motor and I got it at sort of E-bay in
        cost of 100 Euro. Looks good, and I intend to run it at my garage
        next week. Of course I'll give a report from river trials this
        spring.

        -Wojtek
      • Stefan Probst
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hi Wojtek,

          --- "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@...> wrote:
          > Two weeks ago I 've bought small (2,5 HP) sideboard motor

          Do I see it right, that there is no guiding pipe around the 1.5-m long
          shaft of the Tümmler? Means: the shaft has to be very straight,
          otherwise you get high lateral forces due to excentricity ("tumbling"?).

          The Delphin, which is a similar side-board motor, seems to have such a
          guiding pipe.

          Thanks for any isight that you can share.

          Stefan
        • wwbaginski
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2006
            --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Stefan Probst" <stefan.probst@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Wojtek,
            >
            > --- "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@> wrote:
            > > Two weeks ago I 've bought small (2,5 HP) sideboard motor
            >
            > Do I see it right, that there is no guiding pipe around the 1.5-m long
            > shaft of the Tümmler? Means: the shaft has to be very straight,
            > otherwise you get high lateral forces due to excentricity ("tumbling"?).
            >
            > The Delphin, which is a similar side-board motor, seems to have such a
            > guiding pipe.
            >
            > Thanks for any isight that you can share.
            >
            > Stefan

            Yes, the shaft has no guiding element, but looks straight and strong,
            and is surprisely light. I'll run the motor soon, and I'll give you a
            report. What else seems to be nice with this motor? It's really
            lightweight in comparison to our 15 hp mercury!
            Stefan, I was trying to find Delphin motor mentioned by you, via
            google, but with no result. Is it European product? Do you have any
            info? I'm pretty sure that there were a few similar designs at thirties.

            -Wojtek
          • Stefan Probst
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
              --- "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@...> wrote:
              > Stefan, I was trying to find Delphin motor mentioned by you, via
              > google, but with no result. Is it European product?
              > Do you have any info? I'm pretty sure that there were a few
              > similar designs at thirties.

              http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-zuendapp-seitenborder.html

              Sorry, only in German ;)

              It is brand "Zündapp" (German).

              And more old Sideboard Motors on this page:
              http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-seitenbordmotoren.html

              And a new one:
              http://www.krahwinkel-kpm.de/motor/e_kpm15s.html

              Cheers,
              Stefan
            • wwbaginski
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 3, 2006
                wrote:

                > --- "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@> wrote:
                > > Stefan, I was trying to find Delphin motor mentioned by you, via
                > > google, but with no result. Is it European product?
                > > Do you have any info? I'm pretty sure that there were a few
                > > similar designs at thirties.
                >
                > http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-zuendapp-seitenborder.html
                >
                > Sorry, only in German ;)
                >
                > It is brand "Zündapp" (German).
                >
                > And more old Sideboard Motors on this page:
                > http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-seitenbordmotoren.html
                >
                > And a new one:
                > http://www.krahwinkel-kpm.de/motor/e_kpm15s.html
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Stefan

                Thanks a lot, Stefan. This is one which is very close to my canceled
                project of sideboard motor designed on a chainsaw background:

                http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-seitenbordmotoren.html

                Rob, it may be good inspiration for your project, I think.

                -Wojtek