Birch & fungus

  • robrohdeszudy
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
      And why wouldn't they? Birch sap in the Spring is comparable to weak
      root beer, and the sap is equally nice to chew on. You can make birch
      syrup much like maple syrup. Different, but good. The only catch is you
      have to make it yourself 'cause you'll never see it in a store.

      So I don't blame those fungi for liking birch. I do too.

      (A glimpse of how Rob might someday disappear into the woods...)

      --Rob

      > Buy a sheet of this birch plywood, sprinkle one side with fresh
      water, lay it wet side down on dirt or lawn. Check it in a few days...
      See the fungus growth... Fungi love birch, only thing required is a
      little bit of moisture.

      > Rick
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
        There you go. Thanks for that, Joe, I had not seen birch marine ply before,
        but now I have. I take back everything I said. Still, I have seen the
        stuff mildew at the drop of a hat and I prefer not to use it on boats. Hard
        headed? Stubborn? My wife thinks so.

        Chuck

      • cosermann
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Joeph Valenti" <joeval131@y...> wrote:

          > I found a company that sells marine grade Birch. not sure I would
          > use it, or pay the primium thy probably want for it. Here is the link
          > http://www.hardwoodint.com/marineplywood.html
          > any comments about this.
          > Joe

          Another?

          http://www.marinetimbers.com.au/birch.html
        • David
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
            Chuck,

            Where do these women Get These Ideas? My wife thinks I'm sexier than
            Dom DeLouise and smarter than President Bush. On the other hand, who
            am I to argue with her seemingly inflated impression of me. Who
            knows us better, after all?

            I'm with you on the Birch for Boats issue. I love Birch. Feature it
            prominently in our little showroom. Wouldn't put it in my boat,
            given any choices. Not because of strength or rot resistance, which
            are very similar to the occoume I've used, but cause of the mildew.
            In the Pacific Northwest, one does not choose anything that molds &
            mildews easily. That stuff grows way too enthusiasticly here without
            any encouragement. I just put some Jatoba into Sisu last night, but
            that was just cause we had it in the scrap bin from a prior
            architectural millwork project. Douglas Fir (Oregon Pine) woulda
            been fine.

            Is it warm enough in S. Texas yet to go sailing? It's warmed up
            dramatically here, melting the snow in the mountains, and filling
            the rivers. High water, lots of floating guck (saw part of a dock
            float by the other day), and mucho turbulance. Lots of flood
            warnings. Not a good time for small boats.

            Cheers,
            David Graybeal
            Portland, OR.

            "I date this girl for two years - and then the nagging starts: 'I
            wanna know your name'" -- Mike Binder
            (Aren't women unreasonable, though!)

            ***********************
            wrote:

            > There you go. Thanks for that, Joe, I had not seen birch marine
            ply before, but now I have. I take back everything I said. Still,
            I have seen the stuff mildew at the drop of a hat and I prefer not
            to use it on boats. Hard headed? Stubborn? My wife thinks so.

            > Chuck
          • john h wright
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
              This thread is sounding too much like the radical "Ban Birch Society"
              and does not belong in this Brotherhood of Boating Brethren.
              Discrimination against a noble Species unable to defend its self is cruel
              and unusual punishment. Birch is attractive and cheap for a hardwood,
              but when locked out in the weather takes on a rather darker shade. We
              should not discriminate against a wood with color.

              The following are your words exactly in the order that you wrote them but
              have been edited slightly to CNN standards:

              "Wouldn't put it in my boat, given any choices. Not because of strength
              or rot resistance, but cause of the mildew. One does not choose anything
              that molds & mildews easily. That stuff grows way too enthusiastically
              here without any encouragement."

              "I just put some Jatoba into Sisu last night, but that was just cause we
              ....... it in the scrap bin."

              And just "who" is Sisu? Someone should file charges under the National
              Wood Standards Act!
            • Doug Pollard
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
                Holy Cow,
                Here we go again. Put a little antifreeze on it, a little epoxy ,a
                little varnish or paint. No mildew, no rot, no problem. Put a couple of
                robots on Mars and stop a little mildew???

                Doug

                john h wright wrote:

                > This thread is sounding too much like the radical "Ban Birch Society"
                > and does not belong in this Brotherhood of Boating Brethren.
                > Discrimination against a noble Species unable to defend its self is cruel
                > and unusual punishment. Birch is attractive and cheap for a hardwood,
                > but when locked out in the weather takes on a rather darker shade. We
                > should not discriminate against a wood with color.
                >
                > The following are your words exactly in the order that you wrote them but
                > have been edited slightly to CNN standards:
                >
                > "Wouldn't put it in my boat, given any choices. Not because of strength
                > or rot resistance, but cause of the mildew. One does not choose anything
                > that molds & mildews easily. That stuff grows way too enthusiastically
                > here without any encouragement."
                >
                > "I just put some Jatoba into Sisu last night, but that was just cause we
                > ....... it in the scrap bin."
                >
                > And just "who" is Sisu? Someone should file charges under the National
                > Wood Standards Act!

              • David
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
                  John,

                  Your middle name doesn't happen to BE Birch does it? That would
                  expain a lot <G> I admit it! I treat different species of woods
                  differently. There, I've said it! Furthermore, I have no regrets nor
                  remorse. Believe me when I say that charges should definitely be
                  filed, and possibly a congressional investigation instigated. BTW,
                  Sisu is the most beautiful Goat Island Skiff extant, IMNSHO. A
                  lovely lady, long and lean, with curves in all the right places and
                  beautiful embellishments that set a man's heart to racing.

                  Doug,

                  If you lived and played in the Northwest, you'd know that little
                  short of a nuclear winter is gonna stop mold & mildew in these
                  parts. Antifreeze and chlorine bleach can slow it down, once it gets
                  started, but Rust never sleeps, Mildew never dies, and Hyperbole is
                  never out of fashion.

                  Prosit,
                  David Graybeal
                  Portland, OR.

                  "It takes a long time to become young" -- Pablo Picasso

                  ************************

                  --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Doug Pollard <dougpol1@a...> wrote:

                  > Holy Cow,
                  > Here we go again. Put a little antifreeze on it, a little
                  epoxy ,a little varnish or paint. No mildew, no rot, no problem. Put
                  a couple of robots on Mars and stop a little mildew???

                  > Doug
                  >
                  > john h wright wrote:
                  >
                  > > This thread is sounding too much like the radical "Ban Birch
                  Society" and does not belong in this Brotherhood of Boating Brethren.
                  > > Discrimination against a noble Species unable to defend its self
                  is cruel and unusual punishment. Birch is attractive and cheap for
                  a hardwood, but when locked out in the weather takes on a rather
                  darker shade. We should not discriminate against a wood with color.
                  > > The following are your words exactly in the order that you wrote
                  them but have been edited slightly to CNN standards:

                  > > "Wouldn't put it in my boat, given any choices. Not because of
                  strength or rot resistance, but cause of the mildew. One does not
                  choose anything that molds & mildews easily. That stuff grows way
                  too enthusiastically here without any encouragement."

                  > > "I just put some Jatoba into Sisu last night, but that was just
                  cause we....... it in the scrap bin."

                  > > And just "who" is Sisu? Someone should file charges under the
                  National Wood Standards Act!
                • James Fuller
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
                    Funny John!!!

                    James Fuller

                    john h wright wrote:

                    >This thread is sounding too much like the radical "Ban Birch Society"
                    >and does not belong in this Brotherhood of Boating Brethren.
                    >Discrimination against a noble Species unable to defend its self is cruel
                    >and unusual punishment. Birch is attractive and cheap for a hardwood,
                    >but when locked out in the weather takes on a rather darker shade. We
                    >should not discriminate against a wood with color.
                    >
                    >The following are your words exactly in the order that you wrote them but
                    >have been edited slightly to CNN standards:
                    >
                    >"Wouldn't put it in my boat, given any choices. Not because of strength
                    >or rot resistance, but cause of the mildew. One does not choose anything
                    >that molds & mildews easily. That stuff grows way too enthusiastically
                    >here without any encouragement."
                    >
                    >"I just put some Jatoba into Sisu last night, but that was just cause we
                    >....... it in the scrap bin."
                    >
                    >And just "who" is Sisu? Someone should file charges under the National
                    >Wood Standards Act!
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Joeph Valenti
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
                      I can't help myself I'm going to keep this tread going. I think the
                      wetting, and stiking it in the dirt is a little tough. I might not
                      do that to teak. here is a link to a $60,000 dollar race boat
                      http://www.sailnet.com/sailing/97/btaug97.htm it uses birch Plywood
                      for bulk heads. There are many other fine examples of the use of
                      birch in boats. It just shows that properly encapsulated, it can
                      hold fine. Again I don't think I would use it. I just can't help
                      myself, having a little fun with this LoL...
                      Joe

                      > Funny John!!!
                      >
                      > James Fuller
                      >
                      > john h wright wrote:
                      >
                      > >This thread is sounding too much like the radical "Ban Birch
                      Society"
                      > >and does not belong in this Brotherhood of Boating Brethren.
                      > >Discrimination against a noble Species unable to defend its self
                      is cruel
                      > >and unusual punishment. Birch is attractive and cheap for a
                      hardwood,
                      > >but when locked out in the weather takes on a rather darker
                      shade. We
                      > >should not discriminate against a wood with color.
                      > >
                      > >The following are your words exactly in the order that you wrote
                      them but
                      > >have been edited slightly to CNN standards:
                      > >
                      > >"Wouldn't put it in my boat, given any choices. Not because of
                      strength
                      > >or rot resistance, but cause of the mildew. One does not choose
                      anything
                      > >that molds & mildews easily. That stuff grows way too
                      enthusiastically
                      > >here without any encouragement."
                      > >
                      > >"I just put some Jatoba into Sisu last night, but that was just
                      cause we
                      > >....... it in the scrap bin."
                      > >
                      > >And just "who" is Sisu? Someone should file charges under the
                      National
                      > >Wood Standards Act!
                      > >

                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • David
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006
                        Joe,

                        You'e right. Birch plywood could have marine applications. The
                        interior bulkheads on a big boat probably wouldn't even require mare
                        grade plywood, though I wouldn't use it in the galley area. I was
                        referring (without being sufficiently explicit, apparently) to
                        plywood used for construction of hulls & other "wet" areas on small
                        boats like my Micheal Storer designed 16' Goat Island Skiff... or
                        any of the Michalak boats. For such applications... I just wouldn't.
                        Too many better options available.

                        Cheers,
                        David Graybeal
                        Portland, OR.

                        "Art is all of a boat but the wood" - Henry David Thoreau

                        *********************

                        wrote:

                        > I can't help myself I'm going to keep this tread going. I think
                        the wetting, and stiking it in the dirt is a little tough. I might
                        not do that to teak. here is a link to a $60,000 dollar race boat
                        > http://www.sailnet.com/sailing/97/btaug97.htm it uses birch
                        Plywood for bulk heads. There are many other fine examples of the
                        use of birch in boats. It just shows that properly encapsulated, it
                        can hold fine. Again I don't think I would use it. I just can't
                        help myself, having a little fun with this LoL...

                        > Joe
                      • John Kohnen
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006
                          The Spruce Goose, a flying BOAT, is actually made out of Birch (but they
                          couldn't think of a bird that rhymes with "birch" <g>).

                          On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:12:51 -0800, Joe Valenti wrote:

                          > I can't help myself I'm going to keep this tread going. I think the
                          > wetting, and stiking it in the dirt is a little tough. I might not
                          > do that to teak. here is a link to a $60,000 dollar race boat
                          > http://www.sailnet.com/sailing/97/btaug97.htm it uses birch Plywood
                          > for bulk heads. There are many other fine examples of the use of
                          > birch in boats. It just shows that properly encapsulated, it can
                          > hold fine. Again I don't think I would use it. I just can't help
                          > myself, having a little fun with this LoL...

                          --
                          John <jkohnen@...>
                          He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into hamburgers.
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006
                            > You'e right. Birch plywood could have marine
                            > applications.

                            I keep thinking "birchbark canoe" as I read this
                            thread, but I don't know enough about the subject to
                            know whether it's a relevant comment.

                            Cheers

                            Al

                          • Chris Hill
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006
                              On Friday, January 6, 2006, at 06:31 AM, Al wrote:

                              > I keep thinking "birchbark canoe" as I read this
                              > thread, but I don't know enough about the subject to
                              > know whether it's a relevant comment.

                              Hmm - the thwarts etc in birchbark canoes are usually NOT birch. And
                              the bark is just that, bark. Birch bark is filled with oils, burns
                              even when wet like a smoky torch. It's the bark that's watertight.
                              Maybe the reason birchbark is so watertight in the first place is to
                              keep moisture out of the wood in the living tree, if birch wood is so
                              vulnerable to mold etc.

                              CH

                              Christopher E. Hill
                              Biology Department
                              Coastal Carolina University
                              Conway, SC 29528-1954
                              chill AT coastal.edu
                              http://kingfish.coastal.edu/biology/faculty/chill.htm
                            • cosermann
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006
                                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@y...> wrote:

                                ><clip>For such applications... I just wouldn't.
                                > Too many better options available.

                                For the price?

                                Is it really any worse than BC pine which is recommended here and
                                elsewhere for cheap boats.

                                The sheet construction is certainly much better than 1/4" BC.
                                5-plys, no voids.
                              • Bryant Owen
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006
                                  Lots of birch where I live. If you cut down a birch and let it lie on
                                  the ground and check back in a few months, you'll find it rotting from
                                  the inside out and the bark in almost perfect shape. Birch burned for
                                  firewood needs to be split and stacked asap.

                                  A well made and maintained birchbark canoe lasts many, many years.
                                  Ditto elm IIRC.

                                  Bryant

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006
                                    In the interest of perpetuating this thread, I thought the following
                                    reference from George Buehler's book is interesting. He mentions
                                    birch specifically and sort of puts the whole thing in perspective I
                                    think.

                                    http://tinyurl.com/dgz6u
                                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0071583807/ref=sib_vae_pg_27/002-
                                    6956047-4572062\
                                    ?%
                                    5Fencoding=UTF8&keywords=rot&p=S015&twc=29&checkSum=gSHsrjsRnzZBC5xge6
                                    GLMLqC6E\
                                    pPOtQjidC7wzy6Noo%3D#reader-page

                                    Hope the links work. I ran across them on one of the Bolger forums.

                                    Nothing like responding to your own post I always say.

                                    --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "cosermann" <arielmiller@h...> wrote:

                                    > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@y...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > ><clip>For such applications... I just wouldn't.
                                    > > Too many better options available.
                                    >
                                    > For the price?
                                    >
                                    > Is it really any worse than BC pine which is recommended here and
                                    > elsewhere for cheap boats.
                                    >
                                    > The sheet construction is certainly much better than 1/4" BC.
                                    > 5-plys, no voids.

                                  • vexatious2001
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006

                                      > Is it really any worse than BC pine which is recommended here and
                                      > elsewhere for cheap boats.
                                      >
                                      > The sheet construction is certainly much better than 1/4" BC.
                                      > 5-plys, no voids.

                                      Having built (2) boats from BC pine, I can say that I
                                      only have a few conerns about it:

                                      BC pine is heavier than just about any other
                                      plywood other than meranti.

                                      BC pine is not the smoothest plywood on the planet,
                                      a concern if you want a mirror paint finish.

                                      BC pine does "check," although I have only noticed
                                      checking on one side of one boat: both were stored
                                      outdoors under poly tarps.

                                      For a small open boat, I would have no problem with
                                      trying birch plywood as long as I was satisfied that
                                      it would not delaminate. I would not be too concerned
                                      about the rot resistance of the birch. As long as water
                                      isn't allow to accumulate in unventilated areas or the
                                      boat isn't allowed to lay on the ground, it should last
                                      a while.

                                      Max
                                    • condryt66442
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 6, 2006
                                        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "vexatious2001" <cadbury112@e...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > > Is it really any worse than BC pine which is recommended here
                                        and
                                        > > elsewhere for cheap boats.
                                        > >
                                        > > The sheet construction is certainly much better than 1/4" BC.
                                        > > 5-plys, no voids.
                                        > >

                                        > Having built (2) boats from BC pine, I can say that I
                                        > only have a few conerns about it:
                                        >
                                        > BC pine is heavier than just about any other
                                        > plywood other than meranti.
                                        >
                                        > BC pine is not the smoothest plywood on the planet,
                                        > a concern if you want a mirror paint finish.
                                        >
                                        > BC pine does "check," although I have only noticed
                                        > checking on one side of one boat: both were stored
                                        > outdoors under poly tarps.
                                        >
                                        > For a small open boat, I would have no problem with
                                        > trying birch plywood as long as I was satisfied that
                                        > it would not delaminate. I would not be too concerned
                                        > about the rot resistance of the birch. As long as water
                                        > isn't allow to accumulate in unventilated areas or the
                                        > boat isn't allowed to lay on the ground, it should last
                                        > a while.
                                        >

                                        > Max

                                        I found this on a national chain website. Does any one know if these
                                        would be suitable for boat building:1/4" OR 5.2 4X8 EXTERIOR IMPORT
                                        HARDWOOD PLYWOOD
                                        1/2" 4X8 BLONDEWOOD HARDWOOD PLYWOOD
                                      • cosermann
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 11, 2006
                                          Turns out this IS the stuff; made by Halex Corp. It's sold to my
                                          home store folks through a 3rd (or 4th?) party. Anyway, I can't get
                                          it out of my head (birch or no birch) and fully intend to get a
                                          couple few sheets and build a Brick or Pirogue to try it out. Here
                                          are a few tidbits not on the web page (but in the stuff their tech
                                          support faxed me):

                                          18 lbs. per 6mm sheet (lighter than the avg. lumberyard ply - 25#)
                                          Each panel is ultrasonically tested to ensure no voids.
                                          Also available without the printed nail pattern.

                                          Regards,

                                          --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "cosermann" <arielmiller@h...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks for the thought on rot resistance. I wonder if it would
                                          work OK
                                          > for a small dry-sailed boat. I haven't found the MFG web site yet,
                                          but
                                          > it's similar to this:
                                          >
                                          > http://www.halexcorp.com/underlayment_birch_4.shtml
                                        • Bob Chamberland
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 11, 2006
                                            -I wouldn't think the reason for the lack of birch "Marine" ply is
                                            because of rot resistance. After all most,if not all, of the wood
                                            being used to manufacture "marine" ply is only marginally rot
                                            resistant. A lot of it is not rot resistant. This is the main reason
                                            folks use epoxy and glass; to keep the water out of their vulnerable
                                            plywood. I would think the most important factors would be the glues
                                            used and the presence or lack of voids. Coated birch should be just
                                            fine assuming good glues and no voids.
                                            Bob Chamberland