Re: [Michalak] Re: AF4 Seats

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
      Found some more photos of the framing:

      http://mistermoon.home.mindspring.com/JB_AF4_2.jpg
      http://mistermoon.home.mindspring.com/JB_AF4_3.jpg

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "John Bell" <smallboatdesigner@...>
      To: <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 10:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [Michalak] Re: AF4 Seats

      | I meant to say "at the seat edge and the chine". Kind of like a knee.

      | |
      | | M Russon
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | | --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "John Bell" <smallboatdesigner@m...>
      | | wrote:
      | | >
      | | > Looking at the photos, I see that the inside edge frame was from
      | | 1x3.
      | | >
      | | > http://jmbell.home.mindspring.com/AF4_Launch/MVC-017S.JPG is the
      | | only
      | | > picuture I have that shows much detail. The only change I suggest
      | | over what
      | | > is shown is that the center support should attach at the and inside
      | | seat
      | | > edge only. Where I'd screwed and glued the framing to the bottom of
      | | the boat
      | | > was coming apart due to the bottom's flexing.
      | | >
      | | > I've been in a couple of AF4's now, both with and without seats.
      | | With was
      | | > much better, IMO. Jim is minimalist to a fault. Not everyone (me!)
      | | can stand
      | | > that much minimalism! <grin>

      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | | Yahoo! Groups Links
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |
      | |

      | Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 7, 2005
        And finally, hinging them down sounds like a bad idea to me. It would make
        the seats too narrow, IMHO. Build them fixed. It's easier and I don't think
        you'll find much need to change them. I think mine were 14" off the floor,
        I'd raise them 1.5". And I'd angle the bottoms a bit so that rainwater will
        wash to a scupper in the aft topsides. Angling them will keep most of the
        rainwater out of the cockpit. Mine were dead flat and it meant more bailing
        in a downpour.

        The seats also proved handy dockside as a step up and down to the cockpit
        floor. And if you need to go to the edge to haul in a big 'un, just kneel.
        That's how we did it!

        JB

        The seats
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
          I know what you mean about Jim being minimalist to a fault, but I think
          he might be right about the seats. To me, that folding lawn chair of
          his looks WAY more comfy than any "boat seat" I've ever been on. And it
          works ashore too, so one less thing to carry. Two lawnchairs and a
          cooler between 'em for an end table. Makes me want to jump right into a
          Corona commercial.
          --Rob
        • Tim Lehman
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
            I gotta agree with you on that one, Rob. But I like the extendable seats that Chuck has on his Ladybug. Just the thing to stretch out for a short nap in a shady cove.

            Tim

            robrohdeszudy <robrohdeszudy@...> wrote:
            I know what you mean about Jim being minimalist to a fault, but I think
            he might be right about the seats. To me, that folding lawn chair of
            his looks WAY more comfy than any "boat seat" I've ever been on. And it
            works ashore too, so one less thing to carry. Two lawnchairs and a
            cooler between 'em for an end table. Makes me want to jump right into a
            Corona commercial.
            --Rob

            ---------------------------------

            That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

          • John Bell
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
              It's only my opinion, but, I've done it both ways, and I found having seats
              was WAY better than the clutter of lawn chairs.

              Different strokes for different folks...

              > I know what you mean about Jim being minimalist to a fault, but I think
              > he might be right about the seats. To me, that folding lawn chair of
              > his looks WAY more comfy than any "boat seat" I've ever been on. And it
              > works ashore too, so one less thing to carry. Two lawnchairs and a
              > cooler between 'em for an end table. Makes me want to jump right into a
              > Corona commercial.
              > --Rob
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • mrusson
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
                Does Chuck have any images located here that i could take a peak at?
                That would be cool. HEY CHUCK>>>>>>got any photos? (smile)

                M Russon

                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Tim Lehman <timlehman52@y...> wrote:

                > I gotta agree with you on that one, Rob. But I like the extendable
                seats that Chuck has on his Ladybug. Just the thing to stretch out
                for a short nap in a shady cove.

                > Tim
                >
                > robrohdeszudy <robrohdeszudy@y...> wrote:
                > I know what you mean about Jim being minimalist to a fault, but I
                think
                > he might be right about the seats. To me, that folding lawn chair
                of
                > his looks WAY more comfy than any "boat seat" I've ever been on.
                And it
                > works ashore too, so one less thing to carry. Two lawnchairs and a
                > cooler between 'em for an end table. Makes me want to jump right
                into a
                > Corona commercial.
                > --Rob

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

              • Chuck Leinweber
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
                  Try the bottom of this page, Mike:

                  HYPERLINK
                  "http://www.shortypen.com/events/indian1/page4.htm"http://www.shortypen.com/
                  events/indian1/page4.htm

                  Chuck

                  > Does Chuck have any images located here that i could take a peak at?

                  > That would be cool. HEY CHUCK>>>>>>got any photos? (smile)

                  > M Russon

                • Chuck Leinweber
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
                    Anyone else have trouble sending links from Outlook to Yahoo? Let's try
                    again:

                    http://www.shortypen.com/events/indian1/page4.htm

                    Chuck

                    > Try the bottom of this page, Mike:
                    >

                    > HYPERLINK
                    > "http://www.shortypen.com/events/indian1/page4.htm"http://www.shortypen.co
                    > m/
                    > events/indian1/page4.htm
                    >

                    > Chuck
                    >

                    > > Does Chuck have any images located here that i could take a peak at?
                    >
                    > > That would be cool. HEY CHUCK>>>>>>got any photos? (smile)
                    >

                    > > M Russon

                    > --
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > --
                  • awellbalancedgun
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
                      I love that seat solution, too. Chuck - have you added the center
                      support mentioned in the captions?

                      Also, that $100 figure has me wondering what exactly constitutes
                      the "hull"?

                      TJH

                      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Leinweber" <chuck@d...>
                      wrote:

                      > Anyone else have trouble sending links from Outlook to Yahoo?
                      Let's try
                      > again:
                      >
                      > http://www.shortypen.com/events/indian1/page4.htm
                      >
                      > Chuck
                      >

                      > > Try the bottom of this page, Mike:
                      > >

                      > > HYPERLINK
                      >
                      > "http://www.shortypen.com/events/indian1/page4.htm"http://www.short
                      ypen.co
                      > > m/
                      > > events/indian1/page4.htm
                      > >

                      > > Chuck
                      > >

                      > > > Does Chuck have any images located here that i could take a
                      peak at?

                      > > > That would be cool. HEY CHUCK>>>>>>got any photos? (smile)
                      > >

                      > > > M Russon

                      > > --
                      > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > > --
                      11/5/2005

                    • Chuck Leinweber
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
                        Tom:

                        No, I'm still using blocks I'm afraid. Having spent a couple of nights on
                        the boat in rough conditions, we are a lot more likely to set our tent up
                        ashore now. Still, it's nice to have the option.

                        "Hull" does not include rudder, leeboard, mast, sails, or seat, but does
                        include all bulkheads and decks. It's Luan construction with epoxy on the
                        seams and one thinned coat everywhere else. I used Bondo to fair the seams
                        and some nice porch & floor enamel for paint.

                        Chuck

                        > I love that seat solution, too. Chuck - have you added the center
                        > support mentioned in the captions?
                        >
                        > Also, that $100 figure has me wondering what exactly constitutes
                        > the "hull"?
                        >
                        > TJH

                      • mrusson
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
                          Chuck,
                          Thanks a ton for that website. I like the extension cot idea. Man i
                          have a brain cramp thinking about all these ideas. Thanks again.

                          M Russon

                        • lindburly@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 8, 2005
                            In a message dated 11/7/05 3:37:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                            mrusson@... writes:
                            Dear Group,
                            After looking at John Bells AF4, which was a beauty, I decided i
                            liked the seats he put in. John said he loved the seats, and i agree
                            with him. My question is, what about seats that can hinge up out of the
                            way, and fold down when needed? I could attach a cleat to the side of
                            the hull down port and starboard sides. The seats could hinge from these
                            cleats and fold down, dropping into two stops at the fore and aft
                            bulkheads. The seats would be nice to sit and relax on, but could be
                            folded up for room to net the big one over the side. Any thoughts as to
                            the materials for the seats? I have seen 2x4's used, i have seen 1x2's
                            used. etc. Thanks for the feedback.
                            The seating method I used in Arcebus worked well. I scribed 1/2" plywood to
                            match the curve of the side and laid it on 1X2 ledgers on each bulkhead and a
                            couple of 1X1 pieces glued vertically to the sides to support the back of the
                            seat. The middle front is supported by a folding leg using a latching hinge
                            that is designed for that sort of thing that I picked up at Rockler. When in
                            the down position, they are pinned in place by a couple of 10 penny nails that
                            I slide through the seat into holes in the side ledger supports. When I want
                            to fold them up, I just remove the pins and stand them up on their supports so
                            that they are vertical against the sides of the hull -- nothing fancy
                            required.

                            The seats are about 10" off the floor in the front and angle down somewhat in
                            the back -- something I highly recommend to keep the pressure off your
                            tailbone and to help you stay in your seat when heeling.

                            Regards,
                            Greg

                            http://arcebus.net

                          • robrohdeszudy
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 9, 2005
                              Cheap folding beach lounge chair. Chuck's seats do look damned
                              clever, but nothing beats the comfort of those cheap lounge chairs.
                              And they're light and fold out of the way. I say you can't beat that.

                              I think I'd only build seats into a SAILBOAT when you need a solid
                              place to plant your butt on each side. But it's damned hard to design
                              something that keeps your weight in the right place AND is
                              comfortable. Side decks are OK, but mine are complicated by coamings
                              and oars. Thwarts, of course, are hard and don't get you as far
                              outbaord as side decks.

                              In a powerboat where you're mostly going 10-15 mph, I think I'd stick
                              with comfy, lightweight seats that fold out of the way. Of course
                              really HIGH speeds might require something more solid.

                              --Rob