sprit sail

  • wwbaginski
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
      If I had a sailboat, I would keep her on the water all navigating
      season long. How about a "sprit sail", i.e. on Tom's Mixer? Should I
      keep it set up on the mast all season long, and take a mast away
      together with a sail in case of along break in boating? Or would it be
      able to take a sail alone, leaving a mast in its place? Most of
      messabout photos I,ve seen so far show boats ashore with their sprit
      sails set up.

      -Wojtek
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
        --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "wwbaginski" <wwbaginski@t...> wrote:
        > If I had a sailboat, I would keep her on the water all navigating
        > season long. How about a "sprit sail", i.e. on Tom's Mixer? Should I
        > keep it set up on the mast all season long, and take a mast away
        > together with a sail in case of along break in boating? Or would it
        be
        > able to take a sail alone, leaving a mast in its place? Most of
        > messabout photos I,ve seen so far show boats ashore with their sprit
        > sails set up.
        >
        > -Wojtek

        Good morning, Wojtek !

        Since the messabouts only last for a day or so, many
        people leave the mast stepped and the sail "bent"(mounted) on during
        the day time, and although many leave the mast steped overnight,
        most furl the sail or remove the sail. If the boat will be idle for
        only an hour or two at a time, leaving the mast stepped and sail
        on is fine.

        If you felt that the boat would be stable when moored, there is
        probably no reason you could not leave the mast stepped all the time,
        unless you were worried about the effects of sun and weather on
        the mast.

        If the sail is left furled and a sail cover is used, the sail could
        be left bent on all of the time, but again the effects of sun and
        weather might cause it to deteriorate much more rapidly than if
        the sail was removed and stored indoors when the boat was not
        in use.

        It would cost me at least $100.00 each month for me to rent dock
        space to leave even a small (16 foot / 5 meter) boat in the water
        all of the time, so I have to trailer mine. I will need that extra
        $100.00 a month to keep the house warm this winter considering the
        increasing cost of natural gas !

        I joined your Polish language group and enjoy looking at the photos
        but can not read any of the text; I don't speak Polish but I
        think my father can read a little of it; I will have to have
        him take a look at it one of these days.

        Later, Boatman !

        Max
      • John B. Trussell
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
          Wojtek--One problem with small sailboats which are kept in the water is
          that, during squalls, they tend to catch rain water. If the mast is left up
          and the boat is anchored to a bouy, they can blow over. Another problem is
          that ultra violet light tends to degrade sails.

          Sprit sails use short, light spars. The sail stays on the mast . The sail
          and sprit roll up with the mast. It is a simple matter to lift the whole
          bundle out of the mast step and either put it in the bottom of the boat or
          walk home with it.

          Sprit sails go up wind fairly well, but without a boom to hold the foot of
          the sail out, they are not ideal for going down wind. It is possible to
          "brail" them with a loop of line around the top of the sail and this gets
          everything out of the way if you need to row or just want to stop the boat.

          If you opt for a sprit sail, see if you can chase down any writing by R.D.
          "Pete" Culler who was an advocte of this sail. Also, your sprit will need
          to be a little longer (6 inches--15 cm) than you think it needs to be.

          Good luck and have fun.

          John T
          > If I had a sailboat, I would keep her on the water all navigating
          > season long. How about a "sprit sail", i.e. on Tom's Mixer? Should I
          > keep it set up on the mast all season long, and take a mast away
          > together with a sail in case of along break in boating? Or would it be
          > able to take a sail alone, leaving a mast in its place? Most of
          > messabout photos I,ve seen so far show boats ashore with their sprit
          > sails set up.
          >
          > -Wojtek
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • graeme19121984
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
            Also: Thomas Firth Jones

            Graeme

            > If you opt for a sprit sail, see if you can chase down any writing
            by R.D.
            > "Pete" Culler who was an advocte of this sail.
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > > --
            8/26/2005

          • wwbaginski
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
              Thank you, Max. As for costs here it's still rather cheap: I pay about
              15 US dollars per month for keeping a boat in the marina, never mind
              on the water or ashore, including not limited use of the slip. On the
              other hand I have no place at my home yard to store a boat on a
              trailer. So was the choice, to keep the boat (campjon) on the water at
              the marina since let's say April to late November. To protect the boat
              from rains, we use to cover the cabin with folding roof. As for the
              cockpit, it has it's floor raised and self drained. Works good.

              The reality looks like we can cruise on the Vistula twice a month,
              plus one longer holiday river trip. My latest concluzion is that if I
              had a sailboat with free standing sprit rig, I would remove a mast and
              take it ashore. However, my monthly costs would increase a bit.

              As for Polish group, glad to hear you enjoy it. You are welcome to
              post photos as well. I know some of the members are impressed with AF4
              design... I'll do the rest ;)

              -Wojtek

              > Good morning, Wojtek !
              >
              > Since the messabouts only last for a day or so, many
              > people leave the mast stepped and the sail "bent"(mounted) on during
              > the day time, and although many leave the mast steped overnight,
              > most furl the sail or remove the sail. If the boat will be idle for
              > only an hour or two at a time, leaving the mast stepped and sail
              > on is fine.
              >
              > If you felt that the boat would be stable when moored, there is
              > probably no reason you could not leave the mast stepped all the time,
              > unless you were worried about the effects of sun and weather on
              > the mast.
              >
              > If the sail is left furled and a sail cover is used, the sail could
              > be left bent on all of the time, but again the effects of sun and
              > weather might cause it to deteriorate much more rapidly than if
              > the sail was removed and stored indoors when the boat was not
              > in use.
              >
              > It would cost me at least $100.00 each month for me to rent dock
              > space to leave even a small (16 foot / 5 meter) boat in the water
              > all of the time, so I have to trailer mine. I will need that extra
              > $100.00 a month to keep the house warm this winter considering the
              > increasing cost of natural gas !
              >
              > I joined your Polish language group and enjoy looking at the photos
              > but can not read any of the text; I don't speak Polish but I
              > think my father can read a little of it; I will have to have
              > him take a look at it one of these days.
              >
              > Later, Boatman !
              >

              > Max
            • wwbaginski
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
                --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984"
                <graeme19121984@y...> wrote:
                > Also: Thomas Firth Jones
                >
                > Graeme
                >

                > > If you opt for a sprit sail, see if you can chase down any writing
                > by R.D.
                > > "Pete" Culler who was an advocte of this sail.

                Thanks for suggestions, I visited a few related websides. What I like
                a lot is a yawl sailing canoe look. I wonder if use of a mizzen on a
                small sailboat is caused by her narrow hull, to keep the sail area
                center point low, or are there more advantages? Jim M uses a mizzen
                on his bigger designs, isn't he?

                -Wojtek
              • John B. Trussell
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
                  Wojtek,

                  The answers are yes, and yes.

                  You can get sail area by going up or by spreading the sail area out fore and
                  aft. Tall sails have more heeling force (a longer lever) than lower sails.
                  To lower the geometric center of the sail, you can go with a shorter mast
                  and a longer boom, a quadrilateral sail (gaff, lug, or sprit), or go with
                  two masts and low sails.

                  A ketch or yawl with a small mizzen has advantages and disadvantages. The
                  small mizzen is not a very good source of drive but it is very useful for
                  trimming the boat. You can steer with it, create as much (or little)
                  weather helm as you want, it can be trimmed so the boat self steers on some
                  points of sail, it can hold the boat's bow into the wind while reefing the
                  main or playing with the anchor, and it will keep the boat from walking
                  around her anchor. And I like the way a balanced lug main combined with a
                  triangular mizzen looks. For these reasons, I specified this rig when I was
                  negotiating with Jim on my Toon 19. I'm about to launch and, given a month
                  or two to learn the boat, I should be able to provide first hand experience
                  on how well the rig works.

                  John T