Re: Search for AF4 Power

  • ravenouspi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2002
      --- In Michalak@y..., "Roger S" <roger99a@h...> wrote:
      > Does two 8's make 16?

      Roger, I hope to see the FLS in plywood soon. It looks rather nice
      in the 3D representation. But it would be nice to see it with crew
      for scale.

      I've often wondered how two OBs compare to one. On a larger boat
      where the weight would not be so much of a factor would 2 50's go as
      fast as a single 100hp. Or would drag, turbulence, or something make
      it perform something less than 100hp. I'm guessing 2 outboards have
      more grip and therefore perhaps more power for towing or for pushing
      a heavier boat at low speeds. Maybe maximum speed is attained
      quicker, even were the max speed less than a single ob of the same
      total hp.
      But I speculate WAY beyond my knowledge.

      In this particular instance the two 8hp's would make a really heavy
      fuel inefficient 16 (providing I find a prop). And the tiller
      steering would really be a pain. Although now that I think about
      it, tiller steering for twin outboards might lead to some
      interesting setups . . . .
      I'm going to pass on the motor. My 8hp Johnson pushes her neat and
      leisurely. I don't want to spend so much time learning about and
      working on outboards that I neglect boatbuilding and fishing. I'm
      adding on to my home right now, and let me tell you, not being able
      to get out and play in my new AF4 is KILLING MY SOUL!!!!
    • vexatious2001
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2002
        A single 16 hp will push a given boat faster than twin 8's
        and use less fuel and cost less money to purchase new.

        Twins do offer the safety of redundency, and might be no
        more expensive than a single 16 plus a 4 or 5 for emergency
        use, plus a single 8 will be better than the 4 or 5
        in an emergency.

        Jim and I ran our AF4's yesterday and today; Jim used
        an early 60's Gale Sea King 15 purchased for 100 dollars;
        the same red and white Sea King shown in the duckworks
        "Primer on old outboards" article. I had tried to buy
        that engine but someone beat me to it, but I kept track
        of it and it came back on the market. It has a lower
        unit cracked from allowing water to freeze in it, and
        then patched with epoxy. The engine runs well, with no
        work being required to get it running. At 78 lbs ( according
        to Jim's bathroom scale,) it is lighter than most modern
        15's

        The 15 was plenty for Jim's AF4; my boat being about 200
        to 225 lbs heavier, the late 50's 18 I ran was plenty
        powerful.

        Max