Mayfly 12 finished

  • ntsrfer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2002
      I finished the fore and aft decks now just waiting for the 3m to dry
      and the last coat of varnish on the daggerboard. The Mayfly is
      completed enough to get it wet. Well after I wax the bottom with that
      teflon wax. But its finished... whewwwwwww. there's a pic of the
      dagger board in pics files. I'll have more pics as it comes off the
      balcony.

      Now to get it off the balcony.

      Todd
    • petersimmons55409
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
        --- In Michalak@y..., "ntsrfer" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
        > I finished the fore and aft decks now just waiting for the 3m to dry
        > and the last coat of varnish on the daggerboard. The Mayfly is
        > completed enough to get it wet. Well after I wax the bottom with that
        > teflon wax. But its finished... whewwwwwww. there's a pic of the
        > dagger board in pics files. I'll have more pics as it comes off the
        > balcony.
        >
        > Now to get it off the balcony.
        >
        > Todd

        Hey Todd - Congratulations!
        I'll be very interested in hearing about your launch as I'm considering
        the Mayfly 12 as the boat I'll build for my son's 8th grade graduation
        next Spring. Are you going with the sharpie sprit rig per design? And
        what calculations (if any) did you make to locate the daggar board?
        And what is teflon wax? Maybe I missed something, but I've never heard
        of it. Anyway, your boat looks great and I'm looking forward to more
        pics.

        Pete
      • ntsrfer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2002
          Thanks Pete,

          The sail is one off my brick for now. It is about 60 sqft leg O
          mutten or better known as a sharpie sprite rig.

          The dagger board slot was located just a few inches behind the bottom
          butt joint. Which puts it about 12'' foward from the original
          leeboard position. Jim said , "it should be okay " I remember seeing
          some article where it said that a center board can be located more
          foward than a leeboard with out effecting sailing balance. How far?
          I'll see how well it balances with the sail i have now and if it
          doesn't balance well I'll make a new one and adjust as needed if
          possible.

          Teflon wax ,

          I heard about on either this group or bolgers group . Star Brite has
          a marine telfon polish . It supposed to just help protect the paint
          by keeping it slick so dirt, muck and salt won't stick to it as
          easily.
          Thats my understanding of it.

          Todd