      From: Stefan Probst
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2005 07:56
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Model in relation to ballast

      --- "Timtone" <tim@t...> wrote:
      > Can anyone tell me if when you build a scale model
      > of a proposed design, does the ballast of that model relate
      > in scale to the full scale version?
      >
      > In other words, if you did a 1/4 scale model of a 20 foot boat,
      > and found 100 pounds worked well as ballast.
      > Would this mean that 400 lbs. is going to work for the 20 footer?

      In theory (means I have no experience):
      The real boat would be 4 times as long, 4 times as broad, and 4 times
      as high, i.e. at the same WL it would displace 64 times as much water.

      Question is, whether your other weights (hull) are also to 1/4 scale:
      did you use ply that is 1/4 of the designed thickness?....

      So, in reality that 64 will not be exactly. And of course, waves don't
      scale up 1/4, but that is a totally different issue.

      Cheers,
      Stefan