845Re: Wondering.

  • vexatious2001
    Jun 1, 2002
      > Hi Steve -
      >
      > By
      the
      > way, I made a hollow mast for my af3, and did so not a bit lovingly,
      > but quickly, with glue and nails flying, and I recommend it. I'm no
      > master craftsmas (understatement), but it only took a few hours and
      > was able to cut the tapers with a circular saw, saving myself from
      the
      > endless sanding I've gone through in the past with solid masts. My
      two
      > cents.
      >
      > Pete

      I made my AF3 mast out of two pieces of wood laminated together,
      square, as per the drawings, but slightly larger as i was using
      cheap wood.

      I think I will probably try the "hollow" route next time.

      Trying to cut through 2 1/2 to 3 inches of wood is a real
      pain; neither my circular saw or my table saw will do it.

      I think a single stick of wood would be be OK for a short mast,
      maybe 10 feet long. For comparison, the AF3 mast is 21 1/2 feet.

      Max
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic