841Re: Wondering.

  • paxton_consulting
    Jun 1, 2002
      In my browsings of lumber supply stores, I have come across
      > something that intrigues me. Stair railing. The kind that comes in
      > about 2.5" diameter, with a flat on it.

      Steve,
      I used stair hand railing for the boom and gaff on my Weekender.
      They are made from Douglas Fir, and I'm very pleased with their
      performance.

      I would be tempted to use hand rail for a mast on a very small
      sailboat only. If you check the Sail Lacing photos on this board you
      can see the size difference between my mast and the boom & gaff.

      Bill Paxton
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic