839Re: Wondering.

  • petersimmons55409
    Jun 1, 2002
      --- In Michalak@y..., "lewisboats" <numbaoneman@b...> wrote:
      > In browsing the various groups I lurk on, I see many different things
      > used for masts. From hollow ones, done lovingly, to galvanized fence
      > poles. In my browsings of lumber supply stores, I have come across
      > something that intrigues me. Stair railing. The kind that comes in
      > about 2.5" diameter, with a flat on it. I have seen lengths to 16',
      > and in some verrry clear wood. One wonders if this might not be
      > something to look into? I usually do my own designs, and most are for
      > motors. This being said, I have one or two on the back burner for
      > sails and would like a little feedback on the above idea. Thanks much
      > for the consideration.
      >
      > Steve.

      Hi Steve -

      The only problem I see in using stair railing is that it's lathed from
      a single piece of wood. Two boards laminated together is much stronger
      board than a one-piece board, and is much less likely to crack. By the
      way, I made a hollow mast for my af3, and did so not a bit lovingly,
      but quickly, with glue and nails flying, and I recommend it. I'm no
      master craftsmas (understatement), but it only took a few hours and I
      was able to cut the tapers with a circular saw, saving myself from the
      endless sanding I've gone through in the past with solid masts. My two
      cents.

      Pete
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic