3048Re: nails

  • Mark A.
    May 1, 2003
      Wojtek,

      No need to worry about your own experience: Jim has designed the boat for ham handed guys
      like us.

      You were right about the, "Wire and glue technology" earlier. Glue with annular nails is a
      tried and true, well proven method of boat construction. Another name for the ring nails
      here is, "Boat nails."

      What is experimental to me is using the PL Premium construction adhesive. Several people
      _are_ using it these days with initial good results, but none of these boats have been
      around long enough to prove how long it lasts in a marine environment and, in a motor
      boat, subject to vibration.

      If you are concerned enough about strength and longevity to consider more expensive
      screws, though, you might rethink the glue, just to make sure that's what you want to do.
      If you are using expensive plywood and buying what, used or not, will be an expensive
      engine, even epoxy at European prices would be a small part of the total.

      Sounds like your river could be a rough and lonely environment. In any case, you'll breath
      easier with a good 'glass sheathing on the bottom and wrapped up around the chines.

      Looking forward to your pictures,
      Mark

      wwbaginski wrote:

      > Hello,northwest! I remember Seattle and whales nearby Friday Harbour!
      > I do agree with you, Mark, that trust to design is basic here. I do
      > trust, the only thing is low level of MY experience. OK, I will try.
      > PL Premium is the second one, with following subscription which I
      > like the most: The paper board body wall of this tube is made from
      > 100 % recycled paper.
      >
      > Thanks, Wojtek
      >
      > '--- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, "Mark A." <marka@h...> wrote:
      > > W,
      > >
      > > Well, it is nice for once to be in the same league as Chuck!
      > >
      > > You can't go wrong by following the plans. Either way, it won't
      > hurt to armor the chines
      > > with a fiberglass tape if you don't intend fiberglassing the
      > entire bottom. That will add
      > > much strength to the joint.
      > >
      > > BTW Are you using the PL Premium glue that is a thin, red liquid
      > sold here in plastic
      > > bottles; or the gray construction stuff that comes in a tube?
      > >
      > > Also dodging the rain here in the U.S. Pacific Northwest,
      > > Mark
      > >

      > > wwbaginski wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks, Chuck and Mark! It's still raining so you are the
      > winners,
      > > > and now let's wait for others. I'm still not sure about nails,
      > even
      > > > if they are good designed to work, as Mark has been demonstrated.
      > > > The reason is my low level of experience in wood crafts. I used to
      > > > work with different kinds of stone untill this days.
      > > > The day is not wasted from one more reason: my old friend Wojtek
      > > > (yes, another Wojtek) joined my project. He spent a long time
      > > > planning to buy a second hand boat, but became impressed with
      > > > campjon's minimalism in a minute.
      > > >
      > > > Wojtek
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic