29278Re: [Michalak] Re: My Mayfly12 has gone 3D! (For the time being)

  • Eugene Dixon
    May 27, 2014
      Hi Gene
        You were not off in your opinion on Valspar.
          did use their heavy duty under primer it gave good coverage;
          The floor and porch is going to take 3 coats.
      Eugene

      On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:09 PM, "Gene Berry meangenerok@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Nothing feels quite like the first sail in a boat you built with your own 2 hands.
      good job!!

      Gene Berry

      On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 1:38 PM, "alan enlow alan.enlow@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I love it when a plan comes together. Glad to hear of your  success.

      Alan

      On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:34 PM, "mayfly726@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Success! The Roof Rack Mayfly12 was able to live up to my hope that it would Fly in May! No sailing pictures yet, but Saturday I was able to power through the last of the mountain of little tasks that separated the rowing version from the sailing version, and Monday my 3-year-old and I were able to enjoy a nice maiden voyage on Elkhorn Slough. My hands were far to busy to risk even taking my phone out of it's watertight storage, let alone trying to take any pictures, unfortunately. But the weather was perfect, there were very light, rather fluky winds coming from various directions, with a couple nice gusts to give us a couple nice runs. I'm not any good at estimating wind speed, but I guess I would call it 3 - 7 mile an hour winds. Nothing to stretch out the sail taught, and it's pretty wrinkly and crumpled from spending about a year rolled up and out of service.

      Observations - I don't have much of a frame of reference for comparison, as I've only sailed my Puddle Duck Racer a few times. It's definitely not as stable as the PDR which of course makes sense, and is way more sensitive to weight distribution. But as long as I keep my butt on the floor it feels plenty stable.

      There's definitely some drag when tacking to starboard when my ugly square leeboard braces get into the water, so I will probably have to fair them a bit. The graphite/Tightbond III mixture I used for bottom paint has now been subjected to a fair bit of rough dragging and scraping, but has held up admirably in my opinion. I think better than paint would.

      The only photo I got of the day was everything loaded up on top of the minivan.

    • Show all 49 messages in this topic