29243Re: [Michalak] Re: Request for information on finishing and fitting out Campjon

  • john colley
    May 14, 2014
      The best thing about timber boats is that you can change your mind.Screw holes are oh so easy to fill and paint over.I sail a'77 built Hartley ts16.I've just changed to position of everything on the cabin roof,added some things different,and made a new hatch.In a new boat,i'd work out herte i "think" i'd need things and why......and,,,,if it's proven wrong,,,change it.

      -Sigurd Olson
      On Wednesday, 14 May 2014 10:57 AM, "Joseph Stromski j.stromski@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I'd suggest not outfitting it at all with anything permanent until you use her a half dozen times. Where and what to mount will become apparent. Nylon cleats work great. The size depends upon what line you use.
      As far as filling the weave of FG cloth, my understanding is that's for cosmetic purposes. If you want a smooth bottom, apply 2 or 3 coats of unthickened resin and sand smooth. Try not to sand into the cloth. Or fill the weave with graphite impregnated resin, which creates a scratch resistant coating. Unfilled cloth on the sole creates a nice non-skid texture.
      You might find my video walkaround of my AF4 useful. There's some shots of cleats, chocks, motor well, and battery/fuse panel.
      There's no "right" way to do any of this....and you'll likely find yourself fiddling with the details for years to come.

      Best,
      Joe

      On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:50 AM, "redlegduke@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks for the answers guys.  (BTW, I’ve read Jim’s book, three Payson books, a couple Bolger books, and who knows what else.  Have the Geougon book on hard drive, maybe I need to crack it open!)  When glassing, do I fill the weave of the cloth on the bottom and why?  And the cloth of the sole I will walk on?  (Jim’s book said to put filler in the weave.  What filler?  Do I use thickened epoxy after the “initial installation of the fiberglass cloth” epoxy had cured?  Then use a squeegee to smooth it out?)  What size cleats, where do I mount them?  (I can anticipate two guys fishing one from the front deck one from the cockpit, so trip hazards and plain old being in the way while casting or fetching a fish are considerations, but, of course, a cleat has to be placed such that it will function as a cleat.)  Duckworks (selling stuff for boats like mine, I get it) sells several different materials and sizes of cleats.  I’m thinking galvanized because they and I are cheap, nylon cheap too (do they hold up?).  Where to mount a battery?  I’m thinking forward simply to lighten the stern (even though stern mounting is simpler).  Wiring and circuit breakers for probably navigation lights, maybe screaming headlights and/or modest fog lights, horns, prolly a trolling motor – guidance on cheap, safe, and reliable materials and design that will pass inspection.  OK, enough blabbing.  Thanks for your patience and responses.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic