29240Re: [Michalak] Painting...

  • Gene Berry
    May 13 5:55 PM

      Wow Eugene, that blows me away !! thank you so much. i hope you do get the boat done, i have long wanted to look it over. you know i came so very close to building the Jukebox2 but changed my mind at the last minute. i am about 1/8 of the way on a Normsboat right now. see you later and thanks again for the campsite.

      Gene Berry
      On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 7:02 PM, "Eugene Dixon edixon193941@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Gene
        Yes I am coming. boat finished or not.
      The tent site was specificaly for you.  You have done so much
      for others I thought it was about time you got something in return.
      Eugene

      might ask you to give me sailing lesson. have built more boat that   i can handle.
      On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:42 PM, "Curran Bishop curranb79@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks Gene.  Glad to hear I'm not just being finicky about Valspar.  Since I was passing near a Home Depot I went with the Behr my painter friend suggested, but maybe should have gone with your Dutch Boy advice: after one coat (dark blue over white) it looks great from about 30' away, but definitely is going to need all three coats to measure up from 1'!

      On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Gene Berry meangenerok@... [Michalak] <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Now Eugene, you may not have the same problems i had, i sure hope not, as for primer i have no clue what i used but i can guarantee it was not high dollar stuff. i almost always use 3 coats of what ever i use on my boats, both primer and paint. often though the Dutch Boy Stain Fighter covers great with just 1 coat.

      what about this T-4 site are you now not coming to our Stockton Lake get together?

      Gene

      On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:31 AM, "Eugene Dixon edixon193941@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Mr  Gene Berry
      Curses upon your head.  Guess who just started applying $50
      worth of Valspar on " Traveler"?? {JB3}
          What primer did you use under Valspar. and how many coats of what?

         Tent site T4 at Stockton is freer for use to the Guarduian of the Boats

      Eugene

      On Sunday, May 11, 2014 9:03 AM, "Gene Berry meangenerok@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Curran,
      i can't say anything about the Behr brand as i have never used it but i too had disappointing results from Valspar.  i have painted a few boats (15) and i like Dutch Boy stain fighter the best. it covers better and holds up better than anything else i have tried. if you remember from Rend Lake last year my V bottom Mayfly 12, that was Dutch Boy paint.
      hope that helps.

      Gene Berry

      On Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:28 PM, "Curran Bishop curranb79@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi all, I know that paint discussions are posted from time to time, so sorry to bring it up again;

      I painted the AF4 last year--strait on the wood, not pre-coat of epoxy--with Valspar Porch and Floor enamel.  I suppose it has done the job, but I'm not terribly impressed.  A friend who paints professionally pointed out that this particular product seems very thin to him and is thus a bit hard to spread.  He likes Home Depot's Behr version of the same product.  Since I had some of my original Valspar paint left, and am already needing another coat, I went ahead and did another coat, but am planning to add color and hope to change brands.  I'm needing to choose something that can go over the Latex base the Valspar is providing.  At this point I'm thinking just a different brand of latex porch and floor enamel, with this annoying caveat: I have a Lowe's, a Rural King, and a True Value near by, but would have to travel a good distance to get to a Home Depot or Menard's...

      So, does anyone have a suggestion from those stores that can go over a latex base?  (and if not and I need to bite the bullet and drive to HD or M's, has anyone else noticed a significant difference between Behr and Valspar?)

      Thanks!
      --
      Curran Bishop

       " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
             'er we try the depth of sea,
          egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
             unless Thou her helmsman be."
                                      -- Old Scottish Prayer

      --
      Curran Bishop
      Pastor, Grace Presbyterian Church, Carbondale

       " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,
             'er we try the depth of sea,
          egg-shell frail for all her stoutness
             unless Thou her helmsman be."