29230Re: [Michalak] Painting...

  • Eugene Dixon
    May 13, 2014
          Mr  Gene Berry
      Curses upon your head.  Guess who just started applying $50
      worth of Valspar on " Traveler"?? {JB3}
          What primer did you use under Valspar. and how many coats of what?

         Tent site T4 at Stockton is freer for use to the Guarduian of the Boats

      Eugene

      On Sunday, May 11, 2014 9:03 AM, "Gene Berry meangenerok@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Curran,
      i can't say anything about the Behr brand as i have never used it but i too had disappointing results from Valspar.  i have painted a few boats (15) and i like Dutch Boy stain fighter the best. it covers better and holds up better than anything else i have tried. if you remember from Rend Lake last year my V bottom Mayfly 12, that was Dutch Boy paint.
      hope that helps.

      Gene Berry

      On Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:28 PM, "Curran Bishop curranb79@... [Michalak]" <Michalak@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi all, I know that paint discussions are posted from time to time, so sorry to bring it up again;

      I painted the AF4 last year--strait on the wood, not pre-coat of epoxy--with Valspar Porch and Floor enamel.  I suppose it has done the job, but I'm not terribly impressed.  A friend who paints professionally pointed out that this particular product seems very thin to him and is thus a bit hard to spread.  He likes Home Depot's Behr version of the same product.  Since I had some of my original Valspar paint left, and am already needing another coat, I went ahead and did another coat, but am planning to add color and hope to change brands.  I'm needing to choose something that can go over the Latex base the Valspar is providing.  At this point I'm thinking just a different brand of latex porch and floor enamel, with this annoying caveat: I have a Lowe's, a Rural King, and a True Value near by, but would have to travel a good distance to get to a Home Depot or Menard's...

      So, does anyone have a suggestion from those stores that can go over a latex base?  (and if not and I need to bite the bullet and drive to HD or M's, has anyone else noticed a significant difference between Behr and Valspar?)

      Thanks!
      --
      Curran Bishop

       " 'Round our boat be God's aboutness,