29154Re: Marine grade Douglas Fir/Pine?

  • Mark Albanese
    Apr 4, 2014

      Marine DF is common enough, though I've never noticed pine.

      I think most of the marine fir available in the US may be made by Simpson, here in Oregon. (I'd like to know if that's not so.) It's decent enough stuff if one is prepared for fir's tendency to check, a better choice for a boat than box store exterior.

      The ac exterior ply that's worth a look is the Chilean pine under the Arauco brand.

      Mark

      On Apr 4, 2014 6:58 PM, "Tom Barclay" <gurnemanz@...> wrote:

      Was told by the order desk at a reputable lumber company that they stock only Douglas Fir/Pine in marine grade. I asked if they got many complaints. "No, and we sell a lot of it," said the gentleman.

      Either many people are building blue water boats from this stuff and vanishing forever, or . . . well, who knows.

      But I'd never heard of *marine grade* doug fir/pine. And I've seen many cautions against using exterior doug fir ply. Old age has made me suspicious, I guess.

      I suppose I could try it for a Puddle Turkey non-Racer . . .
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic