28978Re: [Michalak] sail area increase

  • Jean-Jacques d
    Jan 21, 2014
      Thank you for responding, Anders.
      You are addressing the "why?" should a change be done.
      I would like responses from builders who have actually increased their percentage of sail area, and whether they were happy or sorry with the results.
      ~J-J

      On Monday, January 20, 2014 8:53 PM, Anders Bjorklund <andersbjorklund5@...> wrote:

      Hi J-J,

      There are many factors to consider: Will you be solo daysailing most often, or cruising with heavy gear and a crew? How strong are the winds you'll most often be sailing in? Do you like to feel on the ragged edge, or well under control? Will you be happy switching to oars or an outboard when the wind goes light? Will you be physically comfortable setting and striking a large lugsail in breezy conditions? What are your attitudes about reefing?

      Those are just a few examples. The best you can do is make an educated guess based on how you want to use the boat.

      Anders

      On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Jean-Jacques d <jjda36618@...> wrote:

      Some of you have commented that you've increased the size of the sail of your projects, and I'd like to hear about the percentage of square feet that you've added.
      I'm building a "Caroline" a bit heavier than stock and wish to increase the ft2 from 113 to (?) without changing the center of effort location, at least not in a fore or aft direction.
      Anyone wish to comment?  I would appreciate it.
      Dave at Polysail is also interested as he will be building the sail for me.
      Thanks!
      ~J-J

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic