      What I would like are responses from builders who have increased their mainsail area.
      A response in percentage of increase would allow me to get an average of the various boat sails, and then study the numbers.  An increase of a Mayfly sail, in percentage, can then be considered with that of a Phil's Boat, or an F3, etc.  Or, my thinking is way off, and I need to be made aware of this.
      ~J-J

      On Monday, January 20, 2014 4:30 PM, John Trussell <jtrussell2@...> wrote:

      The first question: Are you going to keep the mizzen? Be aware that the mizzen is for control, not drive. The center of sail area (which is different from the center of effort) includes the mizzen. If you are not going with a mizzen, you could add area to the back if the lug and get the center of area in about the same place. If you are going to keep the mizzen, you need to make a taller sail.

      Jim’s newsletter published an article on calculating sail area and centers of area. You probably want to review it.

      Before making significant changes to a design, it is iften a good idea to consult with the designer…

      JohnT

      From: Michalak@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Michalak@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Jean-Jacques d
      Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 6:03 PM
      To: michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Michalak] sail area increase

      Some of you have commented that you've increased the size of the sail of your projects, and I'd like to hear about the percentage of square feet that you've added.
      I'm building a "Caroline" a bit heavier than stock and wish to increase the ft2 from 113 to (?) without changing the center of effort location, at least not in a fore or aft direction.
      Anyone wish to comment?  I would appreciate it.
      Dave at Polysail is also interested as he will be building the sail for me.
      Thanks!
      ~J-J

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic