28928Re: [Michalak] River Runner dimensions

  • Gene Berry
    Jan 8, 2014

      Hi Joe,

      the 45" is at the gunwale with a 32" bottom.  i have built 2 River Runners, the 1st in 3/8" ply and right to plans. the 2nd i did in 5mm sides with a 3/8" bottom and narrowed the beam by 6".

      the 1st one i found too heavy and due to an oversight on my part in the build the boat didn't last long. the 2nd one turned out much better and is very stable despite the 6" narrowing, plus i can paddle it like a canoe now. i have not had it out on any floats yet but it should perform just fine.

      Gene Berry

      On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:06 AM, Joe Stromski <j.stromski@...> wrote:

      Jim's description of the River Runner states dimensions of 15 1/2 x 45". Does anyone know if the 45" is width at the bottom or at the gunwales? It'll be used primarily with paddles on river floats, with 2 passengers.
      I'm planning to take the family down to the Ozarks over spring break to paddle the Buffalo River, and think it would be cool to use a "native" craft like a jon/float boat. I've got a SOF Chuckanut, but am afraid to use that in riffles and rapids, that might be too rough on the skin.
      The Ozarkian is just too much, but the River Runner looks like it'd fit the bill nicely too, except I'm concerned about "paddleability"
      I like the looks of this also, looks like 35" at the gunwales
      http://www.boatplans.dk/boat_plans.asp?id=34
      or perhaps a drift boat:
      http://www.spirainternational.com/hp_pact.php
      Or maybe I'll just whip up one of Andy Linn's Lazy Weekend canoes, but that's just not going to have the same panache..
      Best,
      Joe