28885Re: [Michalak] Mixer against piccup

  • Anders Bjorklund
    Dec 17, 2013
      Jim's comments comparing Mixer to Piccup sound about right. I would expect the 6" difference in beam would make it feel a bit less stable, and it would not have quite as much leg room when seated facing sideways (which is most of the time). If much of your sailing will be done in serious choppy water the pointed bow might be a bit drier, but almost all small boats are wet boats in conditions like that. If avoiding a trailer is a priority for you, and you expect to sail mostly in protected waters, Piccup Squared would be another one you might consider. It's the same width as Mixer, but its flat bottom and flared sides makes for a very comfortable cockpit. It also might be a bit quicker and easier to build.

      It's wise to carefully consider how and where the boat will be used. Once you you get down to a manageable list of designs, my advice is to then choose the boat that keeps haunting your dreams.

      Best,
      Anders

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic