28862RE: Re: [Michalak] RE: RE: RE: Woobo

  • Andre
    Dec 2, 2013
      Mark

      In my opinion the Piccup is too beamy to car top.

      Andre
      Sussa - Piccup Pram

      chrispychrispy2000@... escreveu:

       I am not settled on the boat yet. I probably will build a car top boat rather than a trailer-able boat.  I am still considering.  In my mind I went from a Piccup Squared to a Piccup to a Woobo.  One thing is for sure if I build the Woobo I will certainly document it here. I look forward to your efforts here.

      Mark

      ---In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <bruceswabb@...> wrote:

      Yes I am. Will probably get started after Christmas. Like you, I struggled to find any pics or builder info. I'm glad Bill Moffit chimed in. So you and I have a responsibility to document our builds.
      We sail in the intracoastal near Stuart, Fl, so the leeboards and kick up rudder will be nice.  We also plan to tow behind our big sailboat over to the Abacos. Will be fun to play with while at anchor.
      Regards,
      Bruce

      Sent from my iPad

      On Dec 1, 2013, at 3:59 PM, <chrispychrispy2000@...> wrote:

       That's awesome Bruce. Are you planning to build it?

      Mark

      ---In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <bruceswabb@...> wrote:

      I just ordered the plans. I chose it over Mayfly 14. I think both are great boats.
      Bruce
      Sent from my LG phone

      chrispychrispy2000@... wrote:

      > So why do I not see people building the Woobo? Is it because it is considered not attractive or something? My original concern was the lack of freeboard on it. Other than that it seems a very well laid out boat. Very efficient weight to length ratio. The Piccup is well received and this must have the mannerisms of the Piccup only better.
      >

      >---In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <chrispychrispy2000@...> wrote:
      >
      > The Mayfly 14 would be a simpler build than the Woobo but it is a full 50 lbs heavier. This no doubt because of the 1/2 plywood for the bottom. Why does the 15 foot long Woobo have only 1/4" plywood but the 14 foot long Mayfly have a 1/2" plywood bottom. I gues the multichine bottom of the Woobo has added strength by virtue of the faceting. The Mayfly 14 at 200 LBS is most certainly not car topable.
      >

      > ---In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <chrispychrispy2000@...> wrote:
      >
      > I am guessing that the Woobo is only slightly more work to build than a Piccup as it is only one more sheet of plywood. Being a full four feet longer it surely must sail better and be a bit faster. I think I could devise a rear "roller" on a roof rack and manage to single handedly place the boat atop a car roof, well van roof.
      >

      > ---In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, <chrispychrispy2000@...> wrote:
      >
      > I am considering a boat build. I have gone around and around a bit. My criteria seems to shift a bit as I consider it. Lately I have been looking at the original Woobo. I think I would like to have a car toppable boat rather than a trailer. I am whiling to have to have a harder go of the hoisting of the boat for a larger boat. Not too large mind you. I was looking first at the Piccup Squared as it was an easy build and could manage two sailors. Then I was thinking of the original Piccup. I like the look of the boat and its ability to handle a little rougher water. Still the Piccup is a little harder of a build. Woobo seams a lot of boat for 150 LBS and looks like an easy build. I cannot find very much info on people actually building one however. I wonder why?

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic