      From: <souderscott997@...>
      To: <Michalak@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Michalak] RE: Frolic 2 ....as an open boat ??? any thoughts?
      Date: 09 Oct 2013 19:55:00 -0700

      All input appreciated as usual. I think my "better half" has solved the cabin problem. It will be built to the plans in that regard. I then started to think about building it with the rudder on center with a full transom. Then I keep thinking that it is easy to overthink a lot of things and maybe that's what is going on. Oh well it is all an enjoyable part of the process. I need to figure out a way to heat my garage for the "building season" that is fast approaching. Just needs to be warm enough to reliably kick off epoxy:)

      ---In michalak@yahoogroups.com, <mtnridr13@...> wrote:

      I had several occasions to row my AF3 in the Texas 200. It saved my boat from going on the rocks & enabled me to get to a safe slip. It was pretty hard going against the wind across Port Mansfield but I was sure glad to have the capability. Its pretty easy with no wind & a good way to negotiate a small harbor. It will save you.
      Martin

      On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:02 PM, "souderscott997@..." <souderscott997@...> wrote:

      I ordered the plans for the Frolic 2 and just can't make up my mind. I love the Wooboto I have. I wanted to make a version with a 3/8" floor just to get it a bit stiffer, and Jim agreed that would do it. Then I considered trying to "stretch" the design for a bit more room. Then it dawned on me that the Frolic 2 hull if you follow the lines without the cabin...is a stretched Wooboto with a 1/2" floor to boot. Now that I am looking constantly at the plans I may actually like the cabin. Is there any Frolic builders out there with any opinions or just any opinions (pros and cons). Jim already weighed in saying to make the seats air tight for added flotation and saying that an additional bulkhead would be needed for the mast. I think without the cabin the mast could be shortened 6 to 8" also which will only make things safer. I also wonder about rowing the boat. The Wooboto rows very easily for me I'm not sure how much the extra 4.5 feet of length and 6" of width will effect that. I'm not a long distance rower, and really don't care much for the idea of long distance rowing. I pretty much row out a little ways and put up the sails. I would like very much to do some traveling with this boat when it's done, maybe even some coastal "salt water" sailing. Anyways as always any thoughts appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Scott in Colorado

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic