28605Re: Piccup update

  • tlclarke1414
    Sep 9, 2013
      Andre,

      Another option which Michalak shows in other designs is to drill a vertical hole, maybe one inch in diameter down through the lower guard as close to the hull as possible and in line with the pivot bolt hole.
      Jam the pivot bolt nut into the new hole so that the pivot bolt screws into the nut.
      By doing this, you eliminate the hole in the hull.

      --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@...> wrote:

      > I'll have to think over what I did. Pivot bolt will be under water
      > frequently and I don't like the idea of water flooding constantly the
      > wood of the lower guard and side panel. Maybe a looser hole on the
      > leeboard to allow removal ...
      >

      > On 08-09-2013 18:04, Mike wrote:
      > >

      > > Andre,
      > > I glued and bolted the upper Leeboard guard to the walel doubler.
      > > I spent today shaping the tiller and mounting the gudgeons with the
      > > rudder components temporarily assembled so I coild make sure the
      > > rudder was mounted level. I offset the actual rudder cheek and
      > > gudgeons so that the rudder blade dropped directly behind the skeg
      > > when lowered.
      > > I'm going to work on shaping the mast from the wood I glued up next
      > > and need to raise the boat about a foot to mount the Leeboard. I
      > > drilled the hole in the lower guard but didn't drill the hole yet in
      > > the Leeboard and was thinking of just tightening down the pivot bolt
      > > rather than gluing it. That way if you had to remove it you could back
      > > out the pivot bolt and lift the leeboard up thru the upper Leeboard
      > > guard. You may still be able to break the pivot bolt loose even if you
      > > glued it with a wrench on either end. try tightening it slightly first
      > > then backing the nut off of it. If you get the nut off the glue may
      > > have hardened around the threads and you may be able to back it out of
      > > that like a screw.
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > --- In Michalak@yahoogroups.com, Andre Basso <basso.asb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Very good Mike !
      > > >
      > > > It seems you're very close to splash date.
      > > >
      > > > A question: have you glued the upper leeboard guard and the pivot bolt
      > > > as well ? Is it possible to remove the leeboard without damaging those
      > > > parts ?
      > > >
      > > > I ask because I could not find a way to do this yesterday. I realized
      > > > the hole I drilled for pivot bolt in the leeboard was in wrong position
      > > > and I haven't tested with it in the right position. Thinking right now
      > > > that maybe leeboard can come off if raised completely. Not sure about
      > > > that. I'll have to go back to shipyard and check it.
      > > >
      > > > Andre
      > > > Sao Paulo - Brasil
      > > > http://umveleirosimples.blogspot.com.br

      > > varnished.