      From: shooter1941 <cbuxton41@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 1, 2013 6:45 PM
      Subject: [Michalak] Fiberglass/Epoxy Over Paint

      Hello All,
      I have just completed building (except for rigging) JM's Mayfly14 as my initial sojourn into boatbuilding. I read the forum everyday and have learned a great deal from the interesting and informative discussions that are posted.

      Since I don't intend to sail her in the ocean, only in small lakes in NH, I opted not to glass the bottom to save cost and time a decision of which I am now having some regrets. I have done some minor damage to the bottom just when transferring her in and out of my garage. I did glass the chines/bottom joint as per JMS instructions.

      Hoping everyone on the forum observes the adage "there is no such thing as a stupid question', I will proceed with my inquiry.

      Is it now possible to glass the bottom over the paint or will I have to sand it all off and get back to bare wood before doing so.?

      I freely admit my decision not to glass the bottom was a classic case of "penny wise ...pound foolish" as I can now foresee continual labor repairing scrapes dings in the bottom which would not occur with a glassed bottom.

      Any advice on this inquiry would be greatly appreciated.
      Thank you,
      Colin