28012Re: Plywood checking on Brucesboat

  • porneaux
    Jun 24, 2013
      Thanks everyone for the information and advice on plywood checking.

      Just got back from an overnighter on the Missouri river with the Brucesboat and a buddy. 25 mph winds blowing against the currrent made for some nasty breakers in the sections parallel to the wind. Buried the bow into "brown" water several times and finally retreated to a lee shore and set camp.

      In the really rough stuff I was well beyond my comfort zone and probably near the boat's limit, but have to say it performed admirably. She stayed pointed where I steered, the pointy bow didn't pound, and the boat didn't flex. No big water crashing over the bow when burried into the back of a crest.

      Looks like my first boatbuiliding project should have been "Build a place to store the finished boat(s). Because that isn't feasible in the short term, and because I love my Brucesboat, I'm going to sand the checks down and epoxy/glass-tape the area. Will be my early season ritual. Will eventually have a glassed interior!

      Thanks again for the information.

      Brian Nimmo