28002Re: [Michalak] Re: Plywood checking on Brucesboat

  • Martin Houston
    Jun 22, 2013
      Would say yes, sand it good & glass with epoxy resin & cloth.

      From: joe_mapango <ccurtis-keyword-sailing.6d3753@...>
      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:51 PM
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Plywood checking on Brucesboat

      There are vastly more knowledgeable persons on the list (but that never stopped me!)

      As far as I know, epoxy encapsulation only has never been claimed to stop checking especially on fur/larch ply. Additionally, Epoxy exposed to UV will degrade and self check within months, or even weeks.

      I really don't think you did anything wrong. I think you just had expectations of epoxy encapsulation that were not lined up with reality. Even on fancy marine ply, you can get checking without glass/epoxy.

      I hope this helps. Don't stop your build. The fact that you were able to even finish your bruceboat makes you a star homebuilder in my book!

      Chris Curtis
      S/V Romany
      curtisfamilyadventures.wordpress.com