27985RE: [Michalak] Re: Just bought the book.- Some History

  • daniel brown
    Jun 19 2:37 PM
      about the squareboat aesthetic, i think theres some serious performance potential there. somewhere between a scow and a hobie cat. the side profile of a 12' goose looks a lot like a hobie's. some performance oriented wacko could probably get some speed out of that hull shape if sailed on edge like a hobie. hobies are raced with one hull just kissing the surface on all points of sail. with sufficient heel and a performance sail a goose (14?) might be a fast boat : 0

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: jtrussell2@...
      Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:04:52 -0400
      Subject: RE: [Michalak] Re: Just bought the book.- Some History

      Having two of PCB's books together gives some insight to the evolution of
      boat designs for homebuilders. Consider Fieldmouse which was probably
      designed around 1970. It was designed to test the theory that an 8x4' boat
      could be lively and pleasant to sail. It requires a) lofting, b) setting up
      molds, c) a back bone, d) spiling 11 strakes (and planing lands) which are
      then glued together using "water proof" glue, e) flipping the hull, adding
      floors, floorboards, gunwales, decks and finally f) making 2 leeboards and a
      rudder. Then there is a fully battened sail on a sail track. The whole boat
      would probably eat up 5 or 6 sheets of plywood and a lot of time and labor I
      doubt that many (any?) were ever built, though I ordered a set of plans from
      Suzanne and may build one as entertainment. I find the drawings of
      Fieldmouse to be enchanting.

      Some 45 designs later, PCB drew the Elegant Punt (which later morphed into
      Brick which was became the basis for the now ubiquitous Puddle Duck Racer).
      As PCB mentioned, the later boats go together very quickly and do not
      require learning specialized skills. What he doesn't mention is that
      something like the Elegant punt or PDR doesn't require very much in the way
      of material. On balance, I suppose that the simplified (some might say
      crude) box boats are an advance on the more complicated shapes. Certainly
      the boxes have gotten a lot of people on the water and demonstrated that
      simple shapes perform pretty well. I still think the traditional shapes are
      prettier!

      JohnT

      _____