27980RE: [Michalak] Re: Just bought the book.

  • daniel brown
    Jun 17, 2013
      i've liked the surf design for many years, i have a model of it on my desk. simply elegant. somewhere between a sailing canoe and a skiff, two of my favorite types. maybe i'll try a stitch and glue version with more canoe-like design elements and try to minimize the weight to get it closer to my idea of it's design potential...so many possibilities : )

      To: Michalak@yahoogroups.com
      From: nelsarv@...
      Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:17:13 +0000
      Subject: [Michalak] Re: Just bought the book.

      There is a bit of "history" behind Surf. Bolger liked his Elegant Punt
      design but felt the cost of the sailing rig was way out of proportion to
      the cost of the boat so asked Dynamite to try the rig on a hull extended
      and tapered 4 ft. on each end since he already had the sail.

      This also added flotation to each end and easier recovery if knocked
      down. Turned out to be a very impressive and fast sailor and therefor a
      favorite of Phils. One drawback was that the tiller location back there
      meant a singlehander was too far back so he meant it to carry some
      ballast in the form of a passenger. A tiller extension an option I would
      suggest as it has the straddle seat design like EP and Tortoise.

      It was the first plan I ever bought from Dynamite but never built it as
      I liked Jim's rudder and leeboard alternative better, plus in my travels
      I lost the sail I bought along with the plans. The sail was $125 from
      Bohndell at that time! I think Surf certainly was studied closely by Jim
      and he - not being as much interested in speed - made his
      interpretations a bit wider and deeper and of course the shallow water
      foil adaptions.

      Excerpt from a National Fisherman article here:

      http://www.instantboats.com/surf.htm