27975Re: [Michalak] Re: Just bought the book.

  • John Kohnen
    Jun 17, 2013
      Surf is a design from the period in Bolger's life when he was obsessed
      with getting the most out of every sheet of plywood, and using as few
      sheets as possible. Perhaps that explains why Surf is such a Small 15 1/2'
      boat. <g> You sit on the bottom in a Surf, and the bottom is narrow. With
      two people in the boat you run out of room for all the legs. I had trouble
      walking for a while after a friend took me for a ride in his Surf. <g>

      Surf is a good boat for the young and nimble. Mayfly 14 looks like it'll
      be much better for taking the wife along. But I haven't had a chance to
      ride in a Mayfly 14 yet...

      On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:29:06 -0700, Mike S wrote:

      > To tell the truth, I was pretty much settled on the boat Payson called
      > the Surf, as it had the looks I was after, would suit my sailing waters
      > fairly well, it should carry both my wife and I, but it would be about
      > max for transport with my pickup with a bed extender.
      >
      > And then there was the fact that I'd rather have a lug rig and would
      > have to work out the changes that would be needed. I thought the Mayfly
      > 14 rig would be the one to move onto the Surf.
      >
      > But the more I read about the Mayfly, the more it looks like it would be
      > a better choice for me, for a variety of reasons. More than likely, I'll
      > probably go with it and move it up to #2 on my build list.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      A fool and his money are soon elected. (Will Rogers)
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic