27949Re: [Michalak] Re: Just bought the book.

  • Anders Bjorklund
    Jun 14, 2013
      Congratulations Colin!

      Sounds like your Mayfly project's going great. By the way, the load
      waterline for the design should be indicated on the profile drawing. If you
      want to scribe that line on the boat, first locate the points on the
      drawing where the waterline meets the hull at the bow and the stern.
      Measure and mark the corresponding points on your hull, and use them to
      level the hull fore-and-aft. Next, carefully level the hull athwartships.
      Then there are a number of ways to locate points along the waterline all
      around the boat, and those points can be connected by using a flexible
      batten. Some people use a water level, others use a laser level, and some
      set up a system of very tight horizontal strings that can be used to sight
      in the load waterline plane. There are probably other good methods as well.
      The designed waterline, or at least some reference points marked at the bow
      and stern, makes it easy to determine if your boat is trimmed correctly
      fore-and-aft. And it looks pretty cool too.

      Best,
      Anders